We are committed to safeguarding the health of our attendees and speakers. This seminar has been moved to an online format due to public health concerns.
Ensure Your Clients' Financial Future After Divorce
The focus of many financial divorce settlements has shifted from equitable division of generally ample assets to minimizing considerable debts. Many families are still upside-down on their mortgages, with retirement plan values significantly diminished. Are you prepared to tackle these challenges head on? Do you have the knowledge to help your clients maintain financial independence after the divorce is final? This practical seminar will provide you with strategies for dealing with tax, appraisal and distribution considerations when negotiating and drafting a marital settlement agreement. Don't miss this chance to hone your skills - order today!
- Ensure equitable division of both debts and assets in divorce.
- Help your clients effectively manage premature distributions and maintenance liabilities.
- Use practical techniques to help clients brace for the immediate and future tax impact of divorce.
- Review current types of retirement assets and gain tips for effective drafting and implementation of QDROs for each.
- Include intangible and hidden assets in the settlement - we'll show you how to find them.
- Protect your client's rights when bankruptcy enters the picture.
- Avoid allegations of malpractice by knowing the risks when dividing retirement assets.
- Find out what the rules say about legal fee determination and how your esteemed colleagues apply them.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- Dividing Retirement Assets
8:30 - 9:45, Jolie Weinberg
- Types of Retirement Plans
- Defined Contribution
- Defined Benefit
- Municipal/Public Employee Plans
- Military Pensions and Federal Retirement Plans
- QDROs and Other Resolutions for Different Types of Retirement Plans
- Drafting QDROs - Key Strategies and Mistakes to Avoid!
- Using Retirement Accounts to Cover Maintenance Obligations - Past and Future
- Malpractice Risks in Allocating Retirement Accounts in a Divorce
- Valuing the Impact of Social Security Benefits in an Equitable Division
- Cost of Living Adjustments
- Survivorship Benefit
- Finding, Valuing and Dividing Business Interests, Trusts and More
9:45 - 10:45, Michael G. DeHaven and Kristopher R. Hallengren
- Discovering Hidden Business Assets
- Valuing Business Interests - Reading and Analyzing a Business Valuation Report
- Valuing and Dividing Goodwill
- Determining Value for "Cash Businesses"
- Lack of Marketability and Minority Interest Discounts
- Confidentiality Agreements for Business Owners in Divorce
- Top Practical Tips Regarding Businesses in Divorce
- Locating and Dividing Trust Assets in Divorce
- Healthcare Benefits, Offshore Assets and Other Essential Assets
- Mortgage and Credit Treatment in Divorce
11:00 - 12:00, Michael G. DeHaven and Dave Meurer
- Assessing Current Financial Situation
- Budgeting and Sources of Income
- Financing and Re-Financing Options/Mortgage Products
- Implementing and Monitoring the Plan
- Short Sales on Real Estate
- When All Else Fails: Foreclosure in Divorce
- Debt and Bankruptcy in Divorce
1:00 - 2:15, Gregg H. Mosson
- Locating Hidden Debts and Creditors
- File Jointly or Singly? Before or After Divorce?
- "Hold Harmless" Considerations
- Impact of Discharge on Non-Filing Spouse
- Chapter 7 or Chapter 13? The Means Test
- The Bankruptcy Estate and its Limitations
- Priority and Dischargeability of Debts
- Fraudulent Conveyances
- Application of the Automatic Stay
- Tax Treatment and Consequences of Divorce
2:30 - 3:40, Debra B. Cruz
- Filing Status
- Tax Basis of Assets
- Tax-Free Asset Transfers
- Innocent Spouse Relief
- Spousal and Child Support Tax Issues
- General Division of Assets - Section 1041
- Marital Residence
- Stock Options
- Pension Plans
- Tax Consequences of Premature Distributions
- Miscellaneous Tax Issues
3:40 - 4:40, Debra B. Cruz
- Rules of Professional Conduct
- Conflicts of Interest
- Confidentiality and Disclosure Issues
- Attorney Fees
- Client Screening
- Engagement Agreements
- Billing Systems
- Collections Strategies
- Fee Disputes
This intermediate level course will focus on financial aspects of divorce and will benefit:
- Financial Divorce Specialists
- Registered Tax Return Preparers