Bone Up on Both Foreclosure and Bankruptcy Procedures in One Day!
Build your skills in both foreclosure and bankruptcy law with a step-by-step walk-through of their fundamental procedures. You'll spend the morning focusing on foreclosure nuts and bolts and possible alternatives when dealing with troubled assets. Then examine the procedures and forms for filing Chapter 7 and 13 bankruptcy in the afternoon session. Whether you're looking to expand your practice or just understand the fundamentals, this course is a must-attend!
- Avoid legal missteps by staying up to date on foreclosure and bankruptcy legislation and case law.
- Study the alternatives to foreclosure in-depth, so you can advise your clients on their loan default options.
- Walk through the foreclosure process step by step, getting valuable tips from experienced practitioners.
- Gain insight on the foreclosure sale's legally-required notices, tax issues, deficiency bids and distribution of proceeds.
- Learn best practices for handling the post-foreclosure complications of deficiency judgments, tenant eviction and property preservation.
- Gain a clear understanding of which bankruptcy chapter to file depending on your client's situation and assets.
- Learn the procedural steps for filing Chapter 7 and 13, so you can begin confidently filing cases for debtors.
- Discover how the intricacies and exclusions of the means test can sink your Chapter 7 case.
- Avoid common Chapter 13 paperwork mistakes by understanding the interplay of Schedule J, Form 22 and the repayment plan.
- Protect the creditor's position during bankruptcy by knowing the full extent of their rights.
Recent Developments in Foreclosure and How They Affect You
9:00 - 9:45, Michael J. Catalfimo
Loan Workouts and Other Alternatives to Foreclosure
10:00 - 11:00, Paul A. Levine
- Reinstatement, Forbearance and Repayment Plans
- Mortgage Modification
- Partial Claim
- Sale, Pre-Foreclosure Sale or Short Payoff
- Assumption by Qualified Buyer
- Deed-in-Lieu of Foreclosure
11:00 - 12:00, Michael J. Catalfimo
- Pre-Foreclosure Considerations
- The Foreclosure Sale: Notices, Procedure and Documents
- Post-Foreclosure: Wrap-Up, Deficiency, Eviction and Property Ownership Issues
- Insider Tips for Spotting and Handling Common Issues
Chapter 7 and 13 Procedures
1:00 - 2:15, Marc S. Ehrlich and Kevin B. Thiemann
- Selecting the Most Beneficial Chapter for Your Client
- The Initial Client Interview and Getting Started
- Means Testing
- Preparing the Filing: Petition, Schedules and Statements
- Formulating a Confirmable Chapter 13 Plan: Requirements and Calculations
- Dismissal and Conversion Issues
Recent Developments in Bankruptcy Law
2:15 - 3:00, Marc S. Ehrlich and Kevin B. Thiemann
Protecting the Creditor
3:15 - 4:30, Marc S. Ehrlich and Kevin B. Thiemann
- Overview of Creditor's Rights
- Rights of Creditors in Special Situations
- Creditor Committees
- Appointment of Trustee
- Dismissal and Conversion
This basic level program is designed for attorneys, paralegals and other professionals who would like a procedural walk-through of foreclosure and bankruptcy filing procedures.