Navigate the Zoning Process with an In-Depth Understanding of Zoning Regulations
Are you current on your knowledge of zoning laws? Can you confidently solve potential problems and ensure smooth zoning processes? Join us at this seminar where you'll learn to facilitate positive outcomes by understanding key components of the approval process, procedures for challenging a zoning decision, as well as requirements for administrative appeals. Enroll today!
- Know the necessary steps - on a local, regional and state level - for obtaining a permit.
- Fulfill your role in the process when a zoning case is litigated or when a decision is appealed.
- Stay in the loop in your community with a knowledge of local zoning issues, including economic development and smart growth.
- Represent your clients with confidence with an in-depth understanding of key zoning concepts.
- Know the steps you need to take to fight for your client during an appeal of an administrative zoning decision.
- Take your zoning knowledge to the next level with an in-depth understanding of the process for adopting and amending the zoning ordinances and map.
- CURRENT CASE LAW AND LEGISLATIVE UPDATE
9:00 - 10:00, Written and Presented by Kathleen M. McDaniel in Charleston and Columbia.
- ROADMAP FOR NAVIGATING THE APPROVAL PROCESS
10:00 - 11:00, Written and Presented by Kathleen M. McDaniel in Charleston and Columbia.
- Authority for Land Use Decisions
- Local, Regional and State Approvals
- Comprehensive Plan
- Regional Impact
- Rezonings: Zoning Changes or Amendments
- Variances, Special Uses and Conditional Uses
- The Permitting Process
- State Building Code
- Nonconforming Uses
- Permits and Certificates
- Environmental Review
- Vested Rights
- CHALLENGING OR APPEALING AN ADMINISTRATIVE ZONING DECISION
11:15 - 12:30, Written and Presented by Ross A. Appel in Charleston and Rachel Bailey in Columbia.
- Procedural Requirements
- Standing Issues
- Trial of an Administrative Appeal
- Local Government Perspective
- Judicial Review of Local Decision
- Litigating a Zoning Case
- Declaratory Action
- Trial Strategies
- Use of Experts
- Local Government Perspective
- Mandamus, Prohibition and Injunction
- Federal Pre-Emption
- ADOPTION AND AMENDMENT OF ZONING ORDINANCE AND MAP
1:30 - 2:30, Written and Presented by Nicole Scott in Charleston and Rachel Bailey in Columbia.
- Source of Zoning Authority
- Zoning Procedures Law
- Notice Issues
- Hearing Issues
- Local Issues and Impact Fees
- DEALING WITH SPECIAL ZONING ISSUES
2:45 - 3:30, Written by Nicole Scott. Presented by Nicole Scott in Charleston and Rachel Bailey in Columbia.
- Exclusionary Zoning
- Contract Zoning and Conditional Zoning
- Local Economic Development
- Smart Growth
- The Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act
- Historic Preservation and Overlay District Zoning
- ETHICS IN ZONING AND LAND USE LAW
3:30 - 4:30, Written by Ross A. Appel. Presented by Ross A. Appel in Charleston and Kathleen M. McDaniel in Columbia.
- Administrative Land Use Matters
- Legislative Land Use Matters
- Complying with the Code of Professional Responsibility
- Identifying and Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- From the Standpoint of the Government Lawyer
- Ex Parte Contacts with Decision Makers
This basic-to-intermediate level course will assist the following in understanding and working with zoning and land use regulations:
- City and urban planners
- Local zoning and land use officials