Gain the practical skills needed to improve your personal injury practice.
Do you have what it takes to win? You might know the basics of the legal process, but a more in-depth understanding is necessary for true success. At our one-day seminar, learn practical skills - that go beyond the basics - to provide your clients with the most thorough and effective representation for a favorable outcome.
- Learn how to settle every lien in a personal injury case and avoid further litigation.
- Do you have a Plan B? Prepare from the onset to take your case to trial if settlement negotiations fail.
- What they don't teach you in law school: learn the “tricks of the trade” from experienced faculty and apply them to your next case.
- Save time with our sample demand packets, settlement letters and mediations statements.
- Use these case preparation tips to develop a cohesive strategy that will take you from initial client interview to favorable settlement.
- Build a foundation for settlement: reach a reasonable damage assessment supported by evidence and legal precedent.
- Learn how to assess loss of life damages by walking through a sample case.
- Use traditional and emerging negotiation techniques to promote a favorable settlement.
- Select key evidence and draft summaries to build a powerful and persuasive arbitration submission package.
- BUILDING A STRONG FOUNDATION FOR YOUR CASE
9:00 - 9:45, Geoffrey G. Giorgi
- Developing Case Strategy Through Preparation
- Things to Consider When Evaluating the Issue of Liability
- Supporting Your Theory With Winning Discovery Techniques
- Informal Discovery
- Written Discovery
- Preparing for Depositions
- Assembling Demonstrative Evidence
- UNDERSTANDING THE LAW OF DAMAGES
9:45 - 10:45, David S. Gladish
- Evaluating All Types of Damages
- An Overview of Plaintiffs' Damages
- Damages for Wrongful Death and Loss of Life
- Other Factors to be Considered When Assessing Damages
- Use of Jury Consultants and Focus Groups/Mock Trial
- USING TRADITIONAL AND ADR SETTLEMENT TECHNIQUES
11:00 - 12:00, Jeffrey W. Clymer
- Pre-Suit Attempts at Settlement
- Document Preparation for Various Types of Settlements
- Effective Negotiation Techniques at the Settlement Conference
- How to Turn Body Language Into a Negotiation Tool
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Techniques
- MANAGING LIENS IN PERSONAL INJURY SETTLEMENTS
1:00 - 2:15, Jeffrey W. Clymer
- Understanding Common Statutory Provisions
- Handling Subrogation as it Applies to:
- Third Party Settlements
- Workers' Compensation
- UM/UIM Coverage
- Veterans Administration
- Other Subrogation Considerations
- Offsets and Reimbursements
- “Made Whole” Doctrine
- TAKING THE PERSONAL INJURY CASE TO TRIAL
2:15 - 3:15, Geoffrey G. Giorgi
- Preparation of Your Case for Trial
- Strategic Jury Selection: Voir Dire and Jury Questionnaires
- The Art of a Compelling Opening Statement
- When and How to Present the Evidence
- Delivering an Effective Direct Examination
- Cross-Examination of Witnesses
- Proving Economic and Non-Economic Damages
- Delivering a Powerful Closing Argument
- Post-Trial Relief
- MAINTAINING AN ETHICAL PERSONAL INJURY PRACTICE
3:30 - 4:30, David S. Gladish
- Following the Rules of Professional Conduct
- Maintaining Confidentiality
- Pitfalls to Avoid When Representing Multiple Claims
- Declining or Terminating Representation
- Contacts With Persons Other Than Clients
- Settling the Question of Legal Fees
- Avoiding Legal Malpractice in Personal Injury Actions
- Our Tarnished Image as a Profession
This intermediate level seminar will provide personal injury attorneys and paralegals with practical strategies for handling personal injury cases.