PMI Activity ID#000442Performance-Based Objectives: Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- identify the basic features and components of the Microsoft Project environment.
- create a new project plan file and enter project information.
- manage tasks by organizing tasks and setting task relationships.
- manage resources for a project.
- finalize a project plan.
Lesson 1: Getting Started with Microsoft® Project
Explore the Microsoft® Project 2010 Environment
Display an Existing Project Plan in Different Views
Lesson 2: Creating a Project Plan
Create a Project Plan
Assign a Project Calendar
Add Tasks to a Project Plan
Enter the Task Duration Estimates
Add Resources to a Project Plan
Lesson 3: Managing Tasks in a Project Plan
Link Dependent Tasks
Set Task Constraints and Deadline
Add Notes to a Task
Add a Recurring Task
Lesson 4: Managing Resources in a Project Plan
Create a Resource Calendar
Assign Resources to Tasks
Enter Costs for Resources
Resolve Resource Conflicts
Lesson 5: Finalizing a Project Plan
Shorten a Project Using the Critical Path
Set a Baseline
Print a Project Summary
Target Student: This course is designed for a person who has an understanding of project management concepts, who is responsible for creating and modifying project plans, and who needs a tool to manage those project plans. The foundation is built by creating and defining the project calendar. From there the task list is produced and outlined. Various task properties are defined and discussed prior to the development of the project by creating the task dependency links. Next the students will be exposed to the definition of project resources which will in turn be assigned to the tasks. Subsequent topics evolve into resource leveling, crashing the critical path, and setting the project baseline. This class includes a comprehensive exercise at the start of Day 2 and permits ample time for the students to complete several reinforcement lab activities.
- Lesson 4: Managing Resources in a Project Plan
- Create a Resource Calendar
- Assign Resources to Tasks
- Enter Costs for Resources
- Resolve Resource Conflicts
- Lesson 5: Finalizing a Project Plan
- Shorten a Project Using the Critical Path
- Set a Baseline
- Print a Project Summary