Get answers to the most difficult questions arising in divorce and custody!
Helping clients through marriage dissolution requires an in-depth understanding of the obstacles they face and techniques for successful problem resolution. Do you have the skills you need to handle complex issues that come your way? Are you up to speed on the latest trends and current tips for overcoming common challenges? Join our distinguished faculty for an intensive discussion on answers to your tough divorce and custody law questions. Register today!
- Obtain the best settlement for your client by conquering the division of complex assets.
- Use our tips to maximize the use of valuation specialists and track down hidden assets.
- Fight emotional burnout: discover new ways of handling the stress of dealing with complicated domestic abuse and contested custody cases.
- Explore advanced mediation techniques that will help prevent costly litigation and get the settlement your client deserves.
- Stay on the cutting edge of your practice with an in-depth discussion of jurisdiction choice in interstate and international divorces.
- Explore the roles and duties of decision-makers involved in child placement and learn how you can balance their conflicting priorities in the best interest of the child.
- Walk through a number of engaging sample scenarios to clearly define the ethical line you don't want to cross.
- Determine when the child testimony in domestic abuse cases is possible and beneficial.
- Keep your client from sabotaging his or her case: learn how to prevent harmful combative communication between the spouses and ensure your client follows your advice.
- Give your client a new lease on life after the divorce is final – create a master to-do list to plan for financial stability and independence.
TROUBLESHOOTING MARRIAGE DISSOLUTION ISSUES
8:30 - 9:30, Allen F. Harris
- Disputing the Enforceability of Marital Agreements
- Interstate and International Divorce – Arguing the Jurisdiction
- Managing the Client
- Persuading Your Own Clients to be Reasonable and Not Follow Their Friends' Advice
- Preventing Harmful Combative Communications Between the Divorcing Spouses
RESOLVING DISPUTES AND SPEEDING UP THE PROCESS
9:30 - 10:45, Allen F. Harris
- The Role of Professional Family Mediators in Dissolution of Marriage
- Mediation vs. Arbitration
- Collaborative Law
- Tips for Handling the Stress and Quelling the Fires of Conflict
- Handling Difficult Opposing Counsel
- Flying Through the Electric Storm – Tips for Managing the Ever-Increasing Volumes of Electronic Communication
- Time Management in Complex Cases With Difficult Client and Difficult Attorney
VALUATION AND DIVISION OF COMPLEX ASSETS
11:00 - 12:00, George R. Ference
- Separate vs. Marital Property: Commingling and Premarital Contributions
- Finding Hidden Assets and Debts
- Valuing Business Assets
- How are State, Federal and Military Retirement Plans Divided? Effective Use of QDROs
- Pet Placement Issues in Divorce – Is “Fido” Property or Family?
- Spousal Support Issues When Mental Infirmities are Involved
- Making the Best Use of Your Valuations Specialist
- Handling Conflicting Expert Testimony
- Preparing Effective Sworn Financial Statements
- The Effect of Bankruptcy on Marriage Dissolution
CHILD CUSTODY, CHILD SUPPORT AND CASES INVOLVING DOMESTIC ABUSE
1:00 - 2:30, Amy K. Waggoner
- New Avenues in Collecting and Preserving the Evidence
- The Brave New World of Custody in Assisted Reproduction
(Including: custody of embryos and frozen sperm, in vitro fertilization, surrogacy)
- Custody and Visitation Rights of Non-Biological Parents
(Including: domestic partners, de facto parents, non-marrieds who raised the child, aunts, uncles, same sex partners, etc.)
- Qualifying and Examining the Mental Health Professionals in Custody Hearings
- Parenting Coordinators (and Others Deciding the Child's Life)
- Relocation Challenges
- Allegations of Child Abuse in Custody Disputes
- Restraining and Protective Orders and Injunctive Relief
- Child Testimony in Child Abuse Cases
- Law Enforcement Involvement
- Child Sexual Abuse Evaluations
- Mutual Spousal Abuse Accusations
- Dealing With Therapy Privilege
- Hearsay Rule
2:45 - 3:45, Donald A. Weissman
- Determining and Collecting Attorney Fees
- Maintaining Confidentiality
- When Doing Everything You Can for the Child is Too Much
- Where Does the Line Between Legal and Mental Health Counsel Lie for You?
- When You Suspect Your Client is Lying
- Accepting Referral Fees From Investment Advisors
3:45 - 4:40, Andrea D. Hastings
- Preserving Issues for Appeal From the Start
- Appeals Process and Tips
- Realistic Child Support and Alimony Enforcement
- Post-Divorce Financial Planning – Give Your Client a Clear To-Do List
This advanced level program offers an in-depth analysis of real life problems faced by the professionals involved in marriage dissolution and will benefit:
- Certified Family Law Mediators
- Social Workers