Tackle Your Clients' Tough Land Use and Zoning Questions
Property rights and police power. Land use and zoning conflicts. Damage disputes and administrative appeals. There is seemingly no end to the challenges when it comes to land use and zoning law litigation. Is your knowledge where it needs to be to confidently represent your clients? Join us for this comprehensive, information-packed seminar and take your knowledge and skills to the next level. Don't miss this vital seminar!
- Work effectively with the board of zoning appeals to advocate your client's position.
- Knowledgeably answer questions about property rights and police power in order to effectively deal with disputes between owners and authorities.
- Follow proper procedural requirements during judicial appeals and give your client's case the best chance of success.
- Discover the best ways to use - or to challenge - expert testimony so you can bolster your client's position.
- Effectively file appeals when the initial judgment doesn't rule in your favor.
- Give the very best advice by getting up to speed on recent case law and the latest legislation.
- A COMPREHENSIVE LOOK AT LAND USE LAW
9:00 - 10:20, Dale H. Markowitz
- Power to Zone
- Ins and Outs of Boards of Zoning Appeals
- Manufactured Housing Implications
- Environmentally Driven Zoning
- Impact of Current Land Use Law
- PROPERTY RIGHTS VS. POLICE POWER
10:35 - 11:40, Charles T. Riehl
- Property Owners and Property Rights
- Regulation of Property and the Fifth Amendment
- Role of Police in Protecting the Public
- TYPES OF LAND USE ACTIONS AND DISPUTES
11:40 - 12:40, Anthony R. Vacanti
- Special or Conditional Use Permits
- Zoning Changes
- Plats/Planned Unit Developments
- Historic Preservation Designation/Review
- Comprehensive Plan Adoption/Amendments
- Inconsistencies Between Comprehensive Plans
- JUDICIAL APPEALS OF ADMINISTRATIVE ZONING DECISIONS
1:40 - 2:45, Anthony R. Vacanti
- Components of an Effective Appeal
- Procedural Requirements
- Trial of an Administrative Appeal
- Appellate Review
- LAND USE AND ZONING LITIGATION
3:00 - 4:30, Gary F. Werner
- Facing Administrative Zoning Disputes
- Proving and Disputing Damages
- Use of Experts
- Testimony From Opposing Experts
- Challenges to Constitutional Validity
- Tips to Help You Avoid Litigation
This intermediate level seminar is designed for business, real estate and environmental professionals who want to get advanced insight into land use issues. Those who may benefit include:
- Industry Managers
- Local Zoning/Land Use Officials