We are committed to safeguarding the health of our attendees and speakers. This seminar has been moved to an online format due to public health concerns.
Your Practical Ethical Compliance Guide
Real-life legal practice doesn't fit neatly into the bounds of legal ethics that we all learned in law school. There are always questions and pitfalls that you'll need to figure out to make certain you're in compliance today. This course compiles the toughest current challenges attorneys face in protecting their professional reputations. Our experienced attorney faculty will help you get the tools you need to do the right thing without fear of disciplinary action or litigation. Order today!
- Clarify allowable and prohibited conduct in social media.
- Discover and avoid hidden conflicts of interest.
- Find out how to properly handle case delays.
- Forestall allegations of client fee trust mismanagement with our best practices guide.
- Protect client confidentiality in online communications and in data storage.
All times are shown in Eastern time
8:45 am to 12:00 pm (Break 10:05 - 10:20)
Presenter: Lon T. McClintock
- Online Ethics
8:45 - 9:15
- Directory Listings
- Q&A Forums (Does it Constitute Legal Advice?)
- Social Media Use
- Online Chat, "Friending" Clients on Facebook
- Duties to Prospective Clients
9:15 - 9:35
- Confidentiality and Data Security
9:35 - 10:05
- Confidentiality Tips for Mobile Attorneys
- Cloud Storage and File Sharing
- Texting and Email
- Case Delays and Insufficient Client Communications
10:20 - 10:50
- Managing Client Expectations
- Notifying Court of Date Changes and Requesting Extensions
- Attorney Fees
10:50 - 11:10
- Referral Fees
- Co-Counsel Fees
- Client Trust Account
11:10 - 11:30
- Conflicts of Interest
11:30 - 12:00
- Representing Multiple Clients
- Conflicts of Interest with an Attorney in the Same Firm
- Past Client Conflicts
- Appearance of Impropriety
This basic-to-intermediate level ethics course is designed for attorneys.