Change is normal. You are responsible for your own productivity and that of your staff. Your day-to-day dealings may now include colleagues, your boss, and senior management who have different interests and viewpoints.
This course will equip you with proven supervisory techniques that you can put into action immediately. The skills savvy supervisors use to plan, organize, communicate, and monitor will become part of your toolkit to effectively manage everyday interactions with greater ease. You will learn to leverage both your hard skills and people skills to meet your new challenges with increased confidence, respect, and power.
Cancellation:Transfer, Cancellation and Refund Policy. For Classroom, Live Online and Webinar programs, you may transfer to a future session, send someone to take your place or cancel without penalty at any time up to three weeks prior to your program. If you provide AMA with less than three weeks’ notice, or fail to attend, you will be liable for the entire program fee.
Programs included in AMA OnDemand offerings are not eligible for substitution, transfer, cancellation, return or refund.
We appreciate that this is an important investment for you and your company and would like to accommodate your needs the best we can. Please call us if you have any questions.
How You Will Benefit
- Know your role as a supervisor
- Understand diversity and individual differences
- Recognize legal responsibilities as a supervisor
- Manage an ethical workplace. Handle difficult conversations.
- Use effective communication skills of active listening and questioning
- Create a motivational environment using feedback and reinforcement to guide and motivate behavior
- Increase performance through coaching
- Use delegation as a tool to motivate and develop people
- Create a plan for your own continuing growth and development
What You Will Cover
Different Supervisory Styles
• Understanding the three supervisory styles
• Practicing when and how to use each supervisory style
• Understanding and adapting to your manager’s style
• Anticipating your manager’s needs and fulfilling them
• Developing the best possible relationship with your manager
Managing a Diverse Workforce
• How diversity affects you, your work unit, your company
• Applying inclusivity to your team
Legal and Ethical Responsibilities
• Understanding the Equal Employment Opportunity, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), hostile environment, and other key laws and legal terms
• Knowing your ethical responsibilities and making ethical decisions
Creating a Motivational Environment
• Understanding the common workplace motivators and reinforcements
• Practicing the rules for reinforcing productive behavior
• Developing a strategy for solving a current employee motivational problem
• Demonstrating active listening to show understanding and check content
• Asking questions that uncover valuable information and strengthen the relationship
Great Performance Through Coaching
• Demonstrating giving and receiving feedback constructively
• Assessing your own strengths and development needs as a coach
• Asking questions that increase employees’ self-awareness and accountability
• Demonstrating the AMA GUIDE coaching model
Managing Performance Appraisals
• Understanding the importance of quarterly performance alignment discussions
• Conducting a performance appraisal meeting and keeping records
• Coping with employee reactions
Delegation as a Motivational Tool–to Develop and Motivate
• What to delegate, to whom to delegate, and how to delegate
- New supervisors with less than five years of supervisory experience
- Process and production supervisors looking for basic management skills training