This course provides students with the fundamental knowledge and skills to use Windows PowerShell for administering and automating administration of Windows based servers.COURSE OBJECTIVES:
After completing this course, students will be able to:
Describe the functionality of Windows PowerShell and use it to run and find basic commands.
Identify and run cmdlets for server administration.
Work with Windows PowerShell pipeline.
Describe the techniques Windows PowerShell pipeline uses.
Use PSProviders and PSDrives to work with other forms of storage.
Query system information by using WMI and CIM.
Work with variables, arrays, and hash tables.
Write basic scripts in Windows PowerShell.
Write advanced scripts in Windows PowerShell.
Administer remote computers.
Use background jobs and scheduled jobs.
Use advanced Windows PowerShell techniques.
Getting Started with Windows PowerShell
- Overview and Background
- Understanding command syntax
- Finding commands
- Lab : Configuring Windows PowerShell
- Lab : Finding and Running Basic Commands
Cmdlets for administration
- Active Directory administration cmdlets
- Network configuration cmdlets
- Other server administration cmdlets
- Lab : Windows Administration
Working with the Windows PowerShell pipeline
- Understanding the Pipeline
- Selecting, Sorting, and Measuring Objects
- Filtering Objects Out of the Pipeline
- Enumerating Objects in the Pipeline
- Sending pipeline data as output
- Lab : Using the Pipeline
- Lab : Filtering Objects
- Lab : Enumerating Objects
- Lab : Sending output to a file
Understanding How the Pipeline Works
- Passing the pipeline data
- Advanced considerations for pipeline data
- Lab : Working with Pipeline Parameter Binding
Using PSProviders and PSDrives
- Using PSProviders
Lab : Using PSProviders and PSDrives
Querying Management Information by Using WMI and CIM
- Understanding WMI and CIM
- Querying Data with WMI and CIM
- Making changes with WMI/CIM
- Lab : Working with WMI and CIM
Working with variables, arrays, and hash tables
- Using variables
- Manipulating variables
- Manipulating arrays and hash tables
- Lab : Working with variables
- Introduction to scripting
- Scripting constructs
- Importing data from files
- Lab : Basic scripting
- Accepting user input
- Overview of script documentation
- Troubleshooting and error handling
- Functions and modules
- Lab : Accepting data from users
- Lab : Implementing functions and modules
Administering Remote Computers
- Using basic Windows PowerShell remoting
- Using advanced Windows PowerShell remoting techniques
- Using PSSessions
- Lab : Using basic remoting
- Lab : Using PSSessions
Using Background Jobs and Scheduled Jobs
- Using Background Jobs
- Using Scheduled Jobs
- Lab : Using Background Jobs and Scheduled Jobs
Using advanced Windows PowerShell techniques
- Creating profile scripts
- Using advanced techniques
- Lab : Practicing advanced techniques
- Lab : Practicing script development (optional)
This course is intended for IT Professionals who are already experienced in general Windows Server and Windows Client administration, and who want to learn more about using Windows PowerShell for administration. No prior experience with any version of Windows PowerShell, or any scripting language, is assumed. This course is also suitable for IT Professionals already experienced in server administration, including Exchange Server, SharePoint Server, SQL Server, System Center, and others.
Virtual 10961 Automating Administration with Windows PowerShell 3.0 Online Live training option
Imagine an industry-leading classroom training experience from wherever you have access to the Internet.
The Virtual Online Live events listed here gives you an effective and proven online virtual learning experience with the freedom to attend virtually from anywhere.
There is also an option of experiencing Online Live from one of the many national partner centers where a computer and headset will be provided for you.
This rich and engaging virtual classroom environment lets you conveniently interact with instructors and other students.
You will hear and see your instructor as they teach the course and answer your questions via voice or text.
Choose the online live virtual training option and you can access the recorded version even after the class has finished.
The onDemand labs give you access to the same client and server technologies covered in class so you can test, apply and hone your skills by accessing the labs before and even after the class.
Technical Requirements: a computer or laptop with a modern browser and high speed internet access along with one or two monitors.