You learned the rules of grammar in school, but now you'd like to refresh and refine your grammar usage for your professional life. You need to articulate your ideas clearly and succinctly in written communications and present yourself in a professional manner. In this course, you will review the rules of grammar, identify common grammar errors, and refine your business writing style.
Course Objective: You will identify the elements of correct grammar for use in professional writing.
Target Student: Professionals who seek to improve their grammar usage for written communications.
Delivery Method: Instructor led, group-paced, classroom-delivery learning model with structured hands-on activities.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- examine nouns, pronouns, and verbs.
- identify adjectives and adverbs.
- identify prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections.
- identify some important rules of grammar and some commonly made grammatical errors.
- identify grammar rules regarding correct punctuation.
- identify problematic sentence fragments, run-ons, and comma splices, as well as effective methods of rewriting sentences so that they are clear and complete.
- identify methods for improving word choices.
- identify methods for building effective sentences.
- identify methods for editing text effectively.
- identify methods for avoiding some common errors made by overzealous writers who create hypercorrections in their own work.
Lesson 1: Identifying Nouns, Pronouns, and Verbs
Topic 1A: Identify Nouns
Topic 1B: Identify Pronouns
Topic 1C: Identify Verbs
Lesson 2: Identifying Adjectives and Adverbs
Topic 2A: Use Adjectives
Topic 2B: Use Adverbs
Lesson 3: Identifying Prepositions, Conjunctions, and Interjections
Topic 3A: Use Prepositions
Topic 3B: Use Conjunctions
Topic 3C: Use Interjections
Lesson 4: Identifying Rules
Topic 4A: Monitor Sentences
Topic 4B: Monitor Modifiers
Topic 4C: Avoid Common Errors
Lesson 5: Identifying Correct Punctuation
Topic 5A: Use Parentheses Correctly
Topic 5B: Use Commas, Semicolons, and Quotation Marks
Topic 5C: Use Numbers, Symbols, and Capitalization Correctly
Lesson 6: Identifying Sentence Fragments, Run-ons, and Comma Splices
Topic 6A: Identify Sentence Fragments
Topic 6B: Identify Run-ons, Comma Splices, and Solutions
Lesson 7: Improving Word Choices
Topic 7A: Identify Commonly Misused Words
Topic 7B: Identify Synonyms, Antonyms, and Homonyms
Lesson 8: Building Effective Sentences
Topic 8A: Identify the Goal
Topic 8B: Consider the Audience
Topic 8C: Consider the Context
Lesson 9: Editing Effectively
Topic 9A: Use Correct Spelling
Topic 9B: Achieve Clarity
Lesson 10: Avoiding Hypercorrections
Topic 10A: Avoid Hypercorrections
Topic 10B: Achieve Simplicity