Minimize your clients' liability with sensible employment practices!
Stay out of trouble! Make sure you know the fundamental concepts in human resource law. At this one-day seminar, gain a comprehensive overview of these concepts and examine the latest and most important employee law developments that impact today's workplace.
- Minimize lawsuits by applying current FMLA, ADA and workers' compensation laws to employee leave situations.
- Be prepared to tackle the growing number of wage and hour claims: understand troublesome compensation scenarios.
- Enable employers to terminate problem employees without fear of legal recourse.
- Learn the essential components of a solid employee handbook to provide additional legal protection.
- Retain the right to represent your client in a harassment case: how to advise without becoming an active participant in the internal investigation.
- Stay on top of your game: learn the latest court rulings you can't afford to miss!
- Skillfully handle harassment claims and keep your client out of court.
- COMPENDIUM OF MEDICAL AND OTHER EMPLOYMENT LEAVES AVAILABLE IN PUERTO RICO
9:00 - 10:15, Francisco A. Vargas-Lopez
- Puerto Rico’s Disability Act
- Non-Occupational Disability Insurance
- Workers' Compensation
- Family Medical Leave Act
- EFFECTIVE EMPLOYEE HANDBOOKS AND RECORDKEEPING PROCEDURES
10:30 - 11:15, Rebecca Páez-Rodríguez
- Elements Included in a Well Drafted Handbook
- Key Legal Topics that Should be Addressed Within the Handbook
- How to Make Sure Policies Comply with the Law
- Practical Advice on Using Employment Disclaimers
- Avoiding Legal Landmines When Drafting Handbooks
- Reviewing and Revising Handbooks
- Sample Policies and Handbook Elements
- Recent Amendment to PR Act No. 100
- Recordkeeping Requirements and Recommendations
- Work Reports and Accidents: What Documents to Look For
- HARASSMENT CLAIMS: HANDLING INTERNAL INVESTIGATIONS AND LITIGATION
11:15 - 12:00, Magda Mariela Rexach-Rexach
- Harassment and Retaliation Defined and Illustrated
- Attorney's Changing Role in the Internal Workplace Investigations
- Pitfalls to be Aware of
- BUILDING AN ETHICAL FOUNDATION
1:00 - 2:00, Entire Faculty
- Confidentiality and Disclosure Issues
- Zealousness, Not Zealotry
- Lawful Communication With the Co-Workers in Class Action Suits
- ADVISING YOUR CLIENT ON LAWFUL TERMINATION PROCEDURES
2:15 - 3:30, Jaime L. Sanabria Montañez
- Making Sense Out of the Latest Wrongful Discharge Laws
- Illegal Reasons for Discharge
- Steps to Take for Legally-Defensible Documentation
- Drafting Employment Releases and Waivers
- LITIGATION CHALLENGES, CASE LAW AND LEGISLATIVE TRENDS
3:30 - 4:30, Alicia Figueroa Llinás
- What's Changed in Puerto Rico Human Resource Law
- Recent Changes by the U.S. Supreme Court
- Pending Legislation - How Will It Affect Your Practice?
- Five Recent Court Decisions You Must Know
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar is designed to help professionals avoid legal liability when handling labor and employment matters. Those who should attend:
- In-House Counsel
- Human Resource Managers