A Practical Oil and Gas Title Guide Designed for Attorneys and Landmen
Encountering clouds on oil and gas titles during examination is a common occurrence, and one that comes with a plethora of problematic and complex issues. Weighing title risks in these high-priced transactions is not something to be taken lightly. Sophisticated examination and title opinion techniques must be applied, as well as a thorough understanding of common defects and how to cure them. In this comprehensive title program, you'll learn practical search and examination tips, as well as how to prepare and negotiate comprehensive title opinions. You'll also dig deep into mineral and surface estate issues, gain remedies for resolving them, as well as techniques for curing other defects - register today!
- Gain drilling, division order and leasehold purchase title examination strategies.
- Find out what to look for in surveys, descriptions and plats.
- Get strategies for resolving prior oil and gas leases, examining and curing water rights defects, and break in chain clouds.
- Learn how to negotiate and prepare comprehensive drilling, division order and leasehold title opinions.
- Explore severance of mineral rights and how to create a second chain of title.
- Find out how to create curative instruments for break in chain, foreclosure and estate issues.
- Go over the fundamentals of quiet title actions and walk through the process.
- Drilling, Division Order and Leasehold Purchase Title Examination
9:00 - 10:15, Amelia A. Bower
- Reviewing Surface, Mineral and Leasehold Ownership
- Search/Examination of Water Rights
- Who Owns Title to Lands Underlying Parcels?
- What to Look for in Court Decrees
- Examination of Missing Estate Information, Homestead Issues, Unprobated Estate Interests, Etc.
- Examination of Liens
- Unrecorded Instruments
- Reviewing Prior Deeds and Lease Agreements
- State/Federal Leases?
- Oil and Gas Agreements That Affect Title
- Mechanics of Running the Chain of Title
- What to Look for in Surveys, Discriptions, and Plats
10:30 - 11:15, Amelia A. Bower and Thomas R. McGrath
- Negotiating, Structuring and Preparing Detailed Oil and Gas Title Opinions (with Examples)
11:15 - 12:15, Thomas R. McGrath
- Top Problems and Pitfalls
- The Role of the Landman
- Drilling Title Opinions
- Division Order Title Opinions
- Lender's Title Opinions
- Leasehold Title Opinions
- Acquisition Title Opinions
- Supplemental Title Opinions
- Oil and Gas Title Endorsements and Exceptions
1:15 - 2:15, Thomas R. McGrath
- Quiet Title of Mineral Interests: A Practical Walk-Through
2:30 - 3:30, David L. Van Slyke
- Oil and Gas Title Defects and How to Cure Them
- Grounds for a Quiet Title Action
- Identifying All Interested Parties
- Mechanics of a Quiet Title Action
- Jurisdictional Challenges
- Ethical Considerations
3:30 - 4:30, Amelia A. Bower
- Areas of Malpractice in Oil and Gas Title Examination
This basic-to-intermediate level program is designed for oil and gas title attorneys and landmen. Other oil and gas industry professionals, title agents, underwriters, real estate professionals, bankers and paralegals will also benefit.