Learn Best Practices for Handling Winery and Vineyard Issues
Wineries and vineyards are unique businesses that rely heavily on the thorough counsel of an attorney. From choosing a business entity to drafting contracts to navigating state shipping laws, business owners depend on attorneys to guide them every step of the way. Enhance your knowledge of this growing industry by learning from our experienced faculty and become a valuable asset to existing and new clients. Register today!
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the laws and regulations that affect wineries and vineyards.
- Help protect your client's brand with an effective intellectual property strategy.
- Know which licenses and permits are required for every aspect of the business.
- Draft industry-specific contracts and agreements.
- Help clients select the most tax favorable entity for their business.
- Review current issues and trends at the state and local level.
- State and Local Winery/Vineyard Law Update
9:00 - 9:30, Written and Presented by Nicholas A. Miller in Pittsburgh and Erie.
- State and Local Law Update
- Federal Law Update
- Applicable Case Law
- Hot Topics and Current Issues in Local Government Winery Regulations
- Local Vineyard and Winery Land Use and Zoning Issues
- Zoning in Townships and Counties
- Wine Business Entity Selection
9:30 - 10:30 Written by Rebecca A. Bowman. Presented by Rebecca A. Bowman in Pittsburgh and Nicholas A. Miller in Erie.
- Questions to Ask When Determining Best Entity Type
- Is the Business Involved in Production?
- Wholesaling, Retailing or a Combination?
- Will Land be Acquired?
- Who Will Manage?
- What are the Liability Concerns?
- What About Urban Wineries?
- Pros and Cons of Using:
- Limited Partnership
- Family Limited Partnership
- Limited Liability Company
- When to Use Multiple Entities or Brother/Sister Entities
- Succession Planning: Knowing the Exit Strategy Before Starting the Business
- Selling the Business
- Methods of Transferring the Business to Family Members
- Tax Considerations and Consequences
10:45 - 11:45 Written and Presented by Nicholas A. Miller in Pittsburgh and Erie.
- Will Investors Provide Services in Exchange for Ownership Interest?
- How Will Contributions and Distributions be Handled?
- How Will the Business be Financed?
- Business Operations that Affect Taxes
- Categories of Taxes for Vineyards and Wineries
- Planning for Tax Credits, Exemptions and Deductions
- Strategies for Minimizing Audits
- Federal and State Licenses, Permits and Regulations
11:45 - 12:45 Written and Presented by Nicholas A. Miller in Pittsburgh and Erie.
- Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB)
- Applying as a Bonded Winery, Alternating Proprietorship or Custom Crush
- Labeling Regulations and Procedures
- Requirements for Importing
- Requirements for Exporting
- State Specific Laws for:
- Tasting Licenses
- Franchise Laws
- Traditional Advertising, Social Media Advertising and Promotion
- State Laws and Shipping Challenges
- Transporting Alcohol
- Interstate Distribution
- Direct-to-Consumer Shipping and Internet Sales
- Drafting and Negotiating Wine Industry Contracts and Agreements
1:45 - 2:30 Written and Presented by Nicholas A. Miller in Pittsburgh and Erie.
- Grape Purchase Agreements
- Custom Crush Agreements
- Alternating Proprietor Agreements
- Distributorship Agreements
- Wine Club Contracts
- Protecting Brand Identity Through Trademarks and Copyrights
2:45 - 3:30 Written and Presented by Nicholas A. Miller in Pittsburgh and Erie.
- Logo Design Trademark
- Negotiating Trademark Licenses
- Registering Trademarks at the State, Federal and International Level
- Label Design and Artwork Copyright
- Unique Trade Dress
- Domain Name and Other Internet-Related Issues
3:30 - 4:30 Written and Presented by Nicholas A. Miller in Pittsburgh and Erie.
- Jurisdictional Issues
- Engagement Agreements and Scope of Representation
- Avoiding Problems During Client Representation
This intermediate level seminar is designed for the following professionals:
- Banking Professionals
- Business Owners and Wine Industry Professionals