This course provides information about hazardous materials, spill control, and confinement methods. The intent of the course is to provide the learner with information about the safe handling, movement, and storage of hazardous materials. The content in this course is designed to comply with the intent of the applicable regulatory requirements. Learner objectives are to define hazardous materials, recognize where spills are likely to occur, specify work practices that can prevent spills from occurring, define the goals of spill control, identify actions to take when responding to a spill of hazardous materials or waste, identify response procedures for personnel who discover a spill, and define the terms containment and confinement.
The course was developed and reviewed with subject matter support provided by certified subject matter experts and industry professionals. Please note, the course materials and content were current with the laws and regulations at the time of the last expert review, however, they may not reflect the most current legal developments. Nothing herein, or in the course materials, shall be construed as professional advice as to any particular situation with respect to compliance with legal statutes or requirements.Learning Objectives
- Define hazardous materials
- Specify work practices that can prevent spills from occurring
- Identify actions to take when responding to a spill of hazardous materials or waste
- Identify the boundaries used to define areas where a hazard is present
- Identify goals to be implemented when a spill occurs
- Identify response procedures to safely deal with a spill