A three and a half-day day course intended to provide, test and validate knowledge on industry practices in service management as documented in the ITIL Service Operation publication.
The course and associated examination are free-standing but also part of the ITIL intermediate lifecycle stream. It is one of the modules that leads to the ITIL® Expert Certificate in IT Service Management and carries a credit value of 3 points.
Candidates can expect to gain knowledge and understanding in the following upon successful completion of the education and examination components related to this certificate:
- Introduction to service operation
- Service operation principles
- Service operation processes
- Common service operation activities
- Organizing for service operation
- Technology considerations
- Implementation of service operation
- Challenges, critical success factors and risks
The qualification is based on a 90 minute closed-book examination of 8 complex, scenario based multiple choice questions. Typically, the examination is taken at the end of the course. Successful delegates will be awarded the ITIL Intermediate Qualification: Service Operation Certificate.
The qualification is free standing, but also counts as 3 credits towards the ITIL Expert Certification.
The course is delivered in accordance with an accredited course syllabus and certification process. It combines tutorials, practical exercises and examination practice, reinforced through the trainers’ proven implementation track record.
The main target group for the ITIL Intermediate Qualification: Service Operation Certificate includes:
- Individuals who require a detailed understanding of the ITIL service operation stage of the ITIL service lifecycle and how it may be implemented to enhance the quality of IT service provision within an organization
- IT professionals working within or about to enter a service operation environment and requiring an understanding of the concepts, processes, functions and activities involved
- Individuals who have attained the ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management and wish to advance to higher level ITIL certifications
- Individuals seeking the ITIL Expert Certification in IT Service Management for which this qualification can be one of the prerequisite modules
- Individuals seeking progress toward the ITIL Master Certificate in IT Service Management for which the ITIL Expert is a prerequisite.
- Students wishing to attend this course and take the examination must fulfill the following requirements: Hold the ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management (or equivalent) which must be presented as documentary evidence to gain admission
- Attend an accredited training course
In addition, it is desirable that students have a basic IT literacy and around 2 years IT experience and it is recommended that students complete at least 21 hours of personal study by reviewing the syllabus and the ITIL Service Operation publication in preparation for the examination.
It is recommended that students complete at least 21 hours of personal study by reviewing the syllabus and the ITIL Service Operation publication.
Introduction to service operation
The core concepts and terminology of service operation in relation to the execution and co-ordination of the activities and processes required to deliver, manage and support services at agreed levels to business users and customers
Service operation principles
Service operation principles and all aspects related to operations including achieving balance in service operations, providing good service, involvement in other lifecycle stages and operational health
Service operation processes
The managerial and supervisory aspects of the ITIL processes covered in the service operation stage, excluding the day-to-day operation of the processes (covered in the Operational Support and Analysis Capability module)
Common service operation activities
The activities commonly performed in service operation
Organizing for service operation
The organization of service operation through the service operation functions of service desk, technical management, IT operations management and application management, mapping these functions to roles, responsibilities and activities as well as organizational structures
This unit covers technology as part of implementing service management process capabilities and the special technology functions and features that are related to service operation practices
Implementation of service operation
How implementation considerations contribute to service operation
Challenges, critical success factors and risk
The challenges and risks facing service operation and how critical success factors (CSFs) contribute to service operation