The Security+ Certification Prep Courseáprovides the basic knowledge needed to plan, implement, and maintain information security in a vendor-neutral format. This includes risk management, host and network security, authentication and access control systems, cryptography, and organizational security. This course maps to the CompTIA Security+ certification exam (SY0-501). Objective coverage is marked throughout the course.
Our Security+ courseware has received the CompTIA Approved Quality Content (CAQC) validation, assuring that all test objectives are covered in the training material.
What is Security+ Certification?
The Security+ certification is considered to be the minimum level of certification for all IT security positions beyond entry-level. This course delivers the core knowledge required to pass the exam and the skills necessary to advance to an intermediate-level security job.
Students will benefit most from this course if they intend to take the CompTIA Security+ SY0-501 exam. Read our white paper titled "New Topics on the New Security+ SY0-501 Exam."
Thisácourseásupports a certification that is aáDoD Approved 8570 Baseline Certification and meetsáDoD 8140/8570 training requirements.
Learn more about this topic. View the recorded webinar Trends in Cybersecurity.
In the Security+ Certification Prep Course, you will learn to:
- Proactively implement sound security protocols to mitigate security risks
- Quickly respond to security issues
- Retroactively identify where security breaches may have occurred
- Design a network, on-site or in the cloud, with security in mind
Chapter 1: Security Fundamentals
- Module A: Security concepts
- Module B: Risk management
- Module C: Vulnerability assessment
Chapter 2: Understanding attacks
- Module A: Understanding attackers
- Module B: Social engineering
- Module C: Malware
- Module D: Network attacks
- Module E: Application attacks
Chapter 3: Cryptography
- Module A: Cryptography concepts
- Module B: Public key infrastructure
Chapter 4: Network fundamentals
- Module A: Network components
- Module B: Network addressing
- Module C: Network ports and applications
Chapter 5: Securing networks
- Module A: Network security components
- Module B: Transport encryption
- Module C: Hardening networks
- Module D: Monitoring and detection
Chapter 6: Securing hosts and data
- Module A: Securing hosts
- Module B: Securing data
- Module C: Mobile device security
Chapter 7: Securing network services
- Module A: Securing applications
- Module B: Virtual and cloud systems
Chapter 8: Authentication
- Module A: Authentication factors
- Module B: Authentication protocols
Chapter 9: Access control
- Module A: Access control principles
- Module B: Account management
Chapter 10: Organizational security
- Module A: Security policies
- Module B: User training
- Module C: Physical security and safety
Chapter 11: Disaster planning and recovery
- Module A: Business continuity
- Module B: Fault tolerance and recovery
- Module C: Incident response
- Network Administrators
- Cybersecurity Associates
- IT personnel interested in pursuing a career in cybersecurity