Effective Strategies to Adequately Prepare for Trial
Discovery is an essential part of litigation. Obtaining valuable information crucial to your case is a necessity. Knowing what to look for during the discovery process is one thing but arming yourself with the knowledge of where to find evidence, how to get it and what you need to do to preserve it is critical. Learn practical tips and strategies to confidently approach your next trial - register today!
- Gain valuable insight from a judge on the new Federal Rules of Civil Procedure amendments.
- Learn how to create an effective discovery plan.
- Explore ways to get the most out of the client interview.
- Develop strategies to effectively use requests for admission to solidify your case.
- Identify common e-discovery mistakes to avoid.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- A Judge's View on the New FRCP Amendments
11:00 - 11:45, Hon. Scott L. Horne
- Discovery Conferences are a Must
- Meeting the Proportionality Factors
- Importance Outweighs Controversy- Determining Which Applies
- It's Not Admissible but is it Discoverable?
- Curbing Boilerplate Objections
- Creating a Discovery Plan
11:45 - 12:15, Nicholas D. Thompson
- Priority and Sequence of Discovery
- Effective Communications with Paralegals/Legal Staff
- Informal Discovery
12:30 - 1:15, Nicholas D. Thompson
- Considerations Before the Case is Filed
- Getting the Most out of the Client Interview
- Identifying Potential Witnesses
- Document Retention
- The Proof Chart- Determining the Strength of Your Case
- Fact-Finding Research
- Written Discovery Strategies
1:45 - 2:30, Bryan R. Battina
- Objections to Discovery Requests
- Motions to Compel and Responses
- Strategically Using Requests for Production
- Using Requests for Admission to Solidify Your Case
- Developing Effective Interrogatories
- Depositions: Lay Witnesses
2:30 - 3:15, Nicholas D. Thompson
- Lay Witness Preparation and Background Checks
- Deposing Your Lay Witness
- Opposing Lay Witness Strategies
- Expert Witnesses
3:15 - 4:00, Bryan R. Battina
- Expert Witness Background Investigation and Qualification
- Expert Reports
- Depositions Strategies
- Opposing Expert Witness Deposition Strategies
- E-Discovery Process, Procedures and Strategy
4:15 - 5:00, Elizabeth Lally
- Discovery of Social Media: Data Mining Tips
- Common E-Discovery Oversights Made by Attorneys
- The E-Discovery Computer Forensics Toolkit for Attorney
- Computer Challenges with E-Discovery
- New Search Tools and Filtering Methodologies
- File Systems, File Types and Locations for Sources of E-Discovery
- Practical Tech Tips
- Recovering Data and Archiving
- Sharing and Retrieving Data
- Reasonable Inquiry and Identifying Admissible/Non-Admissible Evidence
- Backup Data, Metadata and Legacy Data
- Ethical Considerations in Discovery
5:00 - 6:00, Elizabeth Lally
- Confidential Conversation
- Private/Personal Matters
- Conflicts of Interest
- Privilege Waivers
This program is designed for attorneys. Paralegals may also benefit.