Get the Tools You Need to Successfully Tackle Challenging Water Law Cases
The fight for "liquid gold" is getting ugly. With developers, government officials, energy companies, tribal leaders, utility companies, farmers and others putting water in their crosshairs, more and more attorneys are taking on these complicated cases. This focused legal program is packed with the latest and greatest legal strategies for protecting your client's water rights and use. Whether you're an experienced water law attorney or new to the practice area, this program will provide you with practical tools to tackle water law cases. Register today!
- Get the latest updates on the new California groundwater regulations.
- Gain the tools you need to handle evaluation, development, adjudication, legislation and acquisition of water rights.
- Get the fundamentals of water law down, learn critical terminology and find out how to simplify the adjudication process.
- Learn how to evaluate water rights, what evidence you need to look for, where to get it and how to apply it to litigation.
- Discover real-world techniques for handling leasing, modification, exchange, transfer, purchase and sale of water rights.
- Find out practical strategies for handling ownership and lease disputes, condemnation disputes, easement challenges and application disputes from experienced attorney faculty.
- Examine emerging hydraulic fracturing, tribal and geothermal water law issues.
- Overcome ethical challenges of representing more than one client in a river system.
- THE NEW CALIFORNIA GROUNDWATER REGULATIONS: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
9:00 - 9:30, Written by Russell M. McGlothlin. Present by Calvin R. House in Pasadena and Russell M. McGlothlin in Ventura.
- PRIOR APPROPRIATION WATER LAW MADE SIMPLE
9:30 - 10:30, Written and presented by Gina Nicholls in Pasadena and Michael McQueen in Ventura.
- Water Law Fundamentals - A Brief Overview
- Determination/Allocation of Water Rights
- Water Law Terminology for Attorneys
- Overview of the Administrative System
- Visual Aids of State Water Bodies, Rivers and Streams - What Water is Being Disputed and Why
- WATER RIGHTS EVALUATIONS
10:45 - 11:30, Written and presented by Derek Hoffman in Pasadena and Ventura.
- Determining Validity/Ownership and Due Diligence Reviews
- Title and Survey Reviews
- Expert Witness Tips - Consulting with a Water Resources Engineer and Other Water Experts
- Applying Hydrology, Groundwater Modeling and Nanotechnology to Litigation Strategies
- Proving How Much Was Used, How Much They Need to Use and When They Started Using it
- Determining Future Supply
- HANDLING THE APPLICATION, LEASE, TRANSFER AND SALE OF WATER RIGHTS
11:30 - 12:30, Written and presented by Amy Steinfeld in Pasadena and Ventura.
- Applying for Water Rights - From Basic to Complex
- Purchase/Sale of Water Rights
- Negotiating and Drafting Agreements
- Augmentation Plans and Appeals
- HANDLING WATER RIGHTS DISPUTES: ADJUDICATION PROCEDURES AND LITIGATION TIPS
1:30 - 2:30, Written and presented by Calvin R. House in Pasadena and Ventura.
- The Adjudication Process
- Ownership Disputes
- Condemnation Disputes
- Lease Disputes
- Opposing an Application for New Water Rights
- Modification Disputes
- Easement Disputes
- CURRENT ISSUES, LEGAL CHALLENGES AND RECENT TRENDS
2:45 - 3:30, Written and presented by Gregg Garrison in Pasadena and Ventura.
- Tribal Water Rights
- Hydraulic Fracturing - Water Use in the Oil and Gas Industries
- Current Water Quality Standards/Contamination Issues
- Drought Challenges
- Overcoming Ditch Company Challenges
- Local and Municipal Initiatives, Utilities and Development Projects
- ETHICS AND WATER LAW
3:30 - 4:30, Written and presented by Michele Staples in Pasadena and Ventura.
- Multiparty Representation and Ethical Challenges
- Ethical Considerations in Regulating, Supplying and Using Water
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar is designed for those who are involved in water right disputes and transactions, use, regulation and protection of water resources. The following should attend:
- Government Officials
- Energy Companies
- Water Management Specialists
- Real Estate Developers