Strategies for Handling Appellate Cases
Navigating through the appellate process can be complex and challenging. What information you choose to present and how it is presented for your case is just the first hurdle to cross. Our esteemed faculty will guide you through the process from start to finish with successful tips and strategies to succeed. Conquer your next appellate case with confidence - register today!
- Gain valuable insight for preparing and submitting your appeal.
- Learn key statements and structure that resonate with the judge.
- Explore a variety of difficult questions to anticipate.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- PRE-APPEAL CONSIDERATIONS
11:00 - 12:00, Stephen F. Buterin
- Tactics for Preserving Issues for Appeal
- Is it Appealable?
- The Final Judgment Rule
- MAKING AN ETHICAL APPEAL
12:15 - 1:15, Kay Hunt
- Filing the Notice and Perfecting the Record on Appeal
- Preparing and Submitting Your Appeal
- Variations to Standard Procedure
- Frivolous Appeals, Competent Representation
- Conflicts of Interest and Professionalism
- PERSUASIVE MOTION TECHNIQUES FOR LITIGATORS
1:15 - 2:15, Stephen F. Buterin
- Successful Marshaling of Facts, Law and Form
- Statements and Structure That Resonate With the Judge
- Avoiding Irrelevancy and Mind the Details
- Secrets That Breaks Your Opponent's Case
- WINNING APPELLATE BRIEFS THAT INFLUENCE
2:45 - 3:45, Eric J. Magnuson
- MAY IT PLEASE THE COURT: ORAL ARGUMENT TECHNIQUES THAT GET RESULTS
3:45 - 4:45, Kay Hunt
- Procedural Rules for Oral Argument
- To Speak or Not to Speak; That is the Question
- Keys to Preparing for the Hearing
- Effectively Using Your Precious Minutes
- Anticipating Difficult Questions
- Strategies to Survive the Hearing
- Examples of Successful and Unsuccessful Oral Arguments
- A VIEW FROM THE BENCH: TIPS FROM THE APPELLATE JUDGE
5:00 - 6:00, Eric J. Magnuson
- Elements of an Outstanding Brief
- A Walk Through the Appellate Hearing
- What Appellate Judges Want Attorneys to Know
- The Top Ten Mistakes You Should Avoid
- Q & A Session
This program is designed for attorneys. Paralegals may also benefit from attending.