Learn how to handle adoption cases and expand your practice!
Are you looking to build an understanding of one of the most rewarding areas of law? Our experienced faculty will walk you through the different adoption processes and provide you with the necessary forms for handling adoption cases. Examine procedures for independent/private, interstate, stepparent, relative and other types of adoptions. Learn how to avoid adoption pitfalls, review federal laws that can complicate adoptions, receive pointers for tackling the various issues that can arise and more. Don't miss this opportunity - order today!
- Get detailed, step-by-step procedural guidance on the adoption process.
- Walk away with sample adoption petitions, consents, final decrees and other documents.
- Find out how to properly deal with consents/relinquishments of parental rights.
- Examine how to handle unknown/missing birth fathers, name changes and other issues that arise in the adoption process.
- Receive practical pointers on interfacing with social services and other parties.
- Anticipate written and unwritten rules that can pose obstacles in adoption.
- Obtain insights on handling contested adoptions.
10:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
Presenters: Meghan A. Bodie and Blair Kennedy
- The Independent Adoption Process Explained
10:00 - 11:00
- Who May Adopt and Who May Be Adopted
- Client Intake (w/Sample Questionnaires)
- Advising Clients on the Financial Implications of Adoption
- Assisting Adoptive Parents with the Finding Process
- Working with Birth Parents
- Conducting Background Checks and Obtaining Medical Histories/Prenatal Care Records
- The Homestudy: Requirements and What Evaluators Look for
- Consents/Relinquishments of Parental Rights
- Preparing the Adoption Petition and Other Key Documents (w/Samples)
- Post-Placement Reports
- Dealing with Notice Requirements
- Adoption Finalization Hearings
- Reviewing the Final Order and Managing Post-Decree Issues
- Sample Checklists and Necessary Forms
- A Look at the Different Types/Nuances of Adoption
11:15 - 12:15
- Open vs. Closed Adoptions (w/Sample Contract)
- Unborn Adoptive Child vs. Infant/Child vs. Adult Adoption
- Stepparent Adoptions
- Second Parent (Same Sex) Adoptions
- Grandparent/Relative Adoptions
- Foster and Special Needs Adoptions
- Re-Adoptions (Domestication of Foreign Adoptions)
- Surrogacy (w/Sample Contracts)
- Alphabet Soup - Federal Laws Impacting Adoptions
12:15 - 12:45
- ICWA - Indian Child Welfare Act
- Hague - What You Need to Know to Stay Out of Trouble
- SIJS - Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
- Interstate Adoption Procedures
1:15 - 2:00
- ICPC - Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children
- Multistate Adoption Process and Procedure
- Dealing with Conflicts Between State Laws and ICPC Policies
- Waiver and Election of Law
- Sample Forms
- Dangers and Difficulties of the Adoption Process
2:00 - 3:00
- Adoption Pitfalls New Attorneys Should be Wary of
- Avoiding Adoption Scams
- Birth Mother Won't Identify the Birth Father
- Serving Notice to Unknown or Missing Birth Fathers
- Dealing with Vulnerable Birth Parents (Minors, Incarcerated Parents, etc.)
- Changing Names, Social Security Numbers and Birth Certificates
- Child Born with Serious Medical Problems
- Interfacing with Social Services
- Handling Contested Adoptions
3:15 - 4:00
- Anticipating When an Adoption Might Become Contested
- Rights of Birth Parents vs. Extended Family vs. Adoptive Parents
- Determining When Involuntary TPR Might be Available
- Litigating the Contested Adoption
- Case Law Review
- Adhering to Ethical Guidelines
4:00 - 5:00
- Conflicts of Interest
- Due Diligence in Adoption
- Attorneys' Fees and Birth Parent Expenses
- Duty of Confidentiality in Adoption
- Safekeeping Decrees
This program is designed for attorneys. Social workers/counselors and paralegals may also benefit.