Navigate Your Next Divorce Case with Confidence
When marriages turn sour, clients seek a knowledgeable, confident advisor who can guarantee that the divorce proceedings go their way. Let our experienced faculty provide you with a detailed, step-by-step instruction on the mechanics of divorce and show you how to advocate for your clients' best interests from initial intake to the final decree. Pick up modern discovery strategies; learn how to handle key custody, parenting time, and support issues; receive insights on dividing marital property and much more. Streamline your practice and ensure your clients' divorces go as smooth and painless as possible - register today!
- Understand what remedies are available so you can identify the best course of action.
- Examine time-tested discovery methods and adopt the latest e-discovery strategies.
- Learn how to handle custody, visitation and support issues, including relocation, jurisdiction disputes, third-party custody/visitation and more.
- Navigate through the frustrating financial aspects of divorce: distinguish between marital and non-marital property, address tax issues, and much more.
- Pick up sophisticated settlement negotiation and trial strategies that will help your clients get the results they desire.
This is a rebroadcast of the original webcast delivered by Heather E. Pauls, Kirk C. Stange, and Andrew M. Tatge on June 18, 2015. Faculty will be available to answer your questions after the program.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- Client Intake and Starting the Divorce Action
10:00 - 11:00, Kirk C. Stange
- Client Intake and Interview
- Types of Divorce Proceedings and Procedure Summaries
- Drafting and Submitting the Petition for Divorce (with Example)
- Responding to Petitions for Divorce
- Pre-Trial Motions - Filing Procedures and Examples
- Temporary Custody and Child Support
- Temporary Spousal Maintenance
- Temporary Exclusive Occupancy of the Marital Home
- Temporary Orders of Protection
- Interim Awards: Counsel Fees, Appraiser/Expert Fees
- Discovery in Modern Divorce
11:15 - 12:15, Andrew M. Tatge
- The Divorce Attorney's Essential Discovery Checklist
- Discovery Tools - Written Discovery, Depositions, Inventory/Appraisements, Subpoenas
- Analyzing Financial Documents to Find Hidden Assets and Income
- Facebook Discovery How-To's and Special Tips
- What to Look for in E-mail Accounts, Text Messages and Other Sources
- Spoliation of Evidence
- Custody, Visitation, Child Support and Spousal Maintenance
12:15 - 1:15, Heather E. Pauls
- Types of Custody Arrangements
- Child Custody Jurisdiction - UCCJEA
- Drafting/Negotiating Parenting Time Schedule Proposals
- Sample Parenting Plan, Forms and Pleadings
- Grandparent/Third Party Custody and Visitation Rights - Case Law
- Relocation During Divorce
- Establishing and Calculating Child Support
- Alimony/Spousal Support Guidelines
- Asset Valuations and Dividing Marital Property and Debt
1:45 - 2:45, Andrew M. Tatge
- Distinguishing Between Marital and Non-Marital Assets
- Use of Experts in the Valuation of Marital Property
- Tax Consequences of Assets
- Preventing the Dissipation of Marital Assets
- Guidelines and Special Tips for Handling QDROs
- Dealing with Debt and Bankruptcy in Divorce
- Settlement Negotiation and Trial Strategies
2:45 - 3:45, Kirk C. Stange
- How to Make Mediation Work for You
- Key Settlement Negotiation Strategies
- Marital Settlement Agreement - Drafting Key Provisions
- Walkthrough of the Family Court Trial Procedure
- Best Practices for Authenticating, Admitting and Blocking Evidence
- Strategies for Maximizing Client/Witness Testimony
- Effective Use of Trial Motions
- Obtaining and Reviewing the Final Judgment/Decree
- Ethical Guidelines for Handling Divorce Cases
4:00 - 5:00, Heather E. Pauls
- Establishing Reasonable Fees and Fee Agreements
- Dealing with Dishonest or Abusive Clients
- Conflicts of Interest, Communication with Adverse Party and More
- How to Handle an Ethics Complaint/Grievance
This program is designed for attorneys. Paralegals may also benefit.