Broaden Your Construction Law Knowledge
Do you have the skills you need to navigate through construction project legal issues? Broaden your knowledge of construction legal issues by examining how to negotiate contracts, navigate indemnification provisions, and avoid costly delays. Our esteemed faculty will also guide you through practical strategies to handle these issues and more. Take your construction contract skills to the next level - register today!
- Learn how to avoid future disputes by drafting and negotiating effective construction contracts.
- Disentangle construction project indemnity and insurance issues.
- Understand how to deal with unsatisfactory plans and specifications.
- Discover reasonable strategies for handling unavoidable disputes that may cause changes or delays.
- Examine methods for approaching various payment issues associated with construction projects.
This is a rebroadcast of the original webcast delivered by Stephen P. Laitinen, John A. Markert and Thomas R. Olson on May 22, 2019. Faculty will be available to answer your questions after the program.
10:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
- Drafting and Negotiating Construction Contracts to Avoid Future Disputes
10:00 - 11:00, Stephen P. Laitinen
- Spotting Dangers in AIA and Other Form Contracts
- Owner Liabilities
- Contractor Liabilities
- Subcontractor Liabilities
- Ensuring Parties with no Construction Industry Knowledge Understand the Contract
- Avoiding Conflicts with Other Key Project Documents
- The Top Clauses That Lead to Disputes: Negotiating Them in Your Client's Favor
- Scope of Work
- Payment Clauses
- Termination Clauses
- Dispute Resolution Provisions
- Indemnity and Insurance: Allocating Risk in Construction Projects
11:15 - 12:15, Stephen P. Laitinen
- Contractual Indemnification: How Broad is too Broad?
- CGL Policy Coverage and Additional Insured Issues
- Ensuring Indemnity Provisions Leave no Room for Interpretation: With Examples
- Ensuring Indemnity Clauses and Insurance Documents Align
- Indemnity and Construction Defect Claims
- Using Surety Bonds to Protect Against Risk
- Dealing with Deficient Plans and Specifications
12:45 - 1:45, Thomas R. Olson
- Rights, Liabilities and Obligations of the Parties
- Ambiguity in Specifications
- Errors Discovered Prior to Building
- Defects Discovered During Construction
- Damages and Compensation
- Changes and Delays: Practical Strategies to Deal with the Inevitable and Avoid Disputes
1:45 - 2:45, John A. Markert
- Handling Change Order Issues, Including Oral Change Orders
- Documenting Changes and Extra Work
- Project Delays: Excusable vs. Inexcusable
- Dealing with Cost Overruns
- Obtaining Damages for Changes and Delays
- Handling Construction Project Payment Issues
3:00 - 4:00, Thomas R. Olson
- Contractual Payment Clauses and Their Effects
- Private Project Remedies
- Mechanic's Liens
- Stop Notices
- Payment Bonds
- Public Project Remedies
- Miller Act, "Little Miller" Acts and Bonds
- Stop Notices on Public Projects
- Retainage Issues on Public and Private Projects
- Ethical Considerations
4:00 - 5:00, John A. Markert
- Rules of Professional Conduct for Construction Law Attorneys
- Conflicts of Interest
- Attorney Fees
- Lawyer Liability
This program covers construction contract fundamentals for attorneys. It may also benefit construction executives and paralegals.