This two-day course is designed to provide students with the knowledge required to work with the Juniper Contrail software-defined networking (SDN) solution. Students will gain in-depth knowledge of how to use the OpenStack and Contrail Web UIs and APIs to perform the required tasks. Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience with the features of Contrail. This course is based on Contrail Release 2.21..
This course benefits individuals responsible for working with software-defined networking solutions in data center, service provider, and enterprise network environments.
After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
- Define basic SDN principles and functionality.
- Define basic OpenStack principles and functionality.
- Define basic Contrail principles and how they relate to OpenStack.
- List and define the components that make up the Contrail solution.
- Explain where Contrail fits into NFV and SDN.
- Describe the functionality of the Contrail control and data planes.
- Describe Nova Docker support in Contrail.
- Describe extending Contrail cluster with physical routers.
- Understand support for TOR switches and OVSDB.
- Gain an understanding of the OpenStack and Contrail WebUIs.
- Create a tenant project.
- Create and manage virtual networks.
- Create and manage policies.
- Create and assign floating IP addresses.
- Add an image and launch an instance from it.
- Describe how a tenant is created internally.
- Use Contrail's API to configure OpenStack and Contrail.
- Describe service chaining within Contrail.
- Set up a service chain.
- Explain the use of Heat Templates with Contrail.
- Manipulate the WebUI monitoring section.
- Extract key information regarding the Contrail infrastructure.
- Extract key information regarding traffic flows and packet analysis.
- Create various types of filters and queries to generate data.
- Understand Ceilometer support in a Contrail Cloud.
- Perform TTL Configuration for Analytics Data.
- Use various troubleshooting tools for debugging Contrail.
Chapter 1: Course Introduction
Chapter 2: Contrail Overview
- SDN Overview
- Contrail Overview
Chapter 3: Architecture and Installation
- Contrail Components and Building Blocks
- Contrail Stack
- Deployment Options
Chapter 4: Basic Configuration
- Tenant Creation Walkthrough
- Creating and Managing Projects
- Creating and Managing Virtual Networks
- Image Management in OpenStack
- Implementing Floating IPs
- Configuring with API scripting
- Lab: Basic Tenant Implementation and Management
Chapter 5: Service Chaining
- Service Chaining Overview
- In-Network Service Chain and Configuration
- Transparent Service Chain and Configuration
- Lab: Service Chains
Chapter 6: Contrail Analytics
- Monitor > Infrastructure Workspace
- Monitor > Networking Workspace
- Analyzing Live Traffic
- Flow Queries and Logs
Chapter 7: Troubleshooting
- Contrail CLI Commands
- Fabric Utility Scripts
- OpenStack CLI Usage
- Lab: Performing Analysis and Troubleshooting in Contrail
Appendix A: Installation
- Supported Platforms
- Using Server Manager
- Installing Contrail on VMware ESXi
- Upgrading Contrail Software
- Lab: Installation (optional)