"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie … but the myth." — JFK
Too often, HR professionals and supervisors rely on lore rather than law when deciding what's legal in the workplace.
Consider the following statements … which ones are true?
- Salaried employees don't have to be paid overtime.
- "Probationary" employees have fewer job rights.
- You should never give out employment reference because you could get sued for defamation.
- You have to let employees bring someone with them to disciplinary meetings.
In fact, they are all myths, half-truths and urban legends. When you or your management team believe (and follow) myths like these, it puts your entire organization in grave legal and financial danger.
Noted attorney Joseph Beachboard will separate the most common employment-law myths from reality, and he'll give you the confidence you need to address vital workplace issues.
Joe will explain the 19 most common employment-law urban legends, followed by the "truth" and what your organization must do to comply. You'll gain a thorough understanding of your obligations to employees in terms of wages, benefits and termination.
The webinar will address issues such as:
- Workplace romance: Are "love contracts" silly or smart?
- Tough-guy bosses: Are they litigious or just loud?
- Terminations: Can you have a layoff of 1?
- Social media: Is a "business use only" policy wise?
- Hiring: Can an offer letter turn into a binding contract?
- Interviews: Can you terminate new hires who fail to disclose a disability?
- …and more than a dozen more!
Plus, you'll be able to ask Joe to clarify YOUR OWN misunderstandings and questions about employment law myths and mysteries.
Stop making personnel decisions in the dark. Register now to discover how to truly comply with the most misunderstood employment laws. Getting in compliance now will save you time, money and legal hassles down the road.
This entertaining session drew a packed audience at this year's Society for Human Resource Management conference in Chicago. This is a must-attend session for HR and managers alike!