Boundary Essentials for Your Real Estate Title Tool Kit
Recognizing and resolving boundary issues that affect the conveyance of real estate title requires a skilled practitioner. In order to recognize the significance of seemingly minor boundary issues that have major consequences down the road, you need a solid grasp of survey issues, chain of title errors and more. Moreover, you need to be a master of curative measures, including boundary line agreements and quiet title actions. Get the information you need to handle boundary-related title issues with confidence - register today!
- Analyze title commitments for potential boundary issues, including water boundaries, vacated roads and more.
- Effectively utilize title insurance endorsements to cover boundary issues, and know what to do in case insurers deny coverage.
- Scrutinize land surveys and recognize property line gaps, setback line violations and other top boundary issues that spell trouble for your clients.
- Craft boundary line agreements that raise no question as to who has proper title to what.
- Ensure your ducks are in a row - spot the top quiet title action errors that sink claims before they even begin.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- Identifying Potential Boundary Issues Disclosed by a Title Commitment
10:00 - 10:45, Kristin A. Hauptman
- Multiple Division of Unplatted Land
- Water Boundaries
- Foreclosure of Incomplete or Deficient Legal Descriptions
- Vacated Roads and Alleys
- Title Insurance Endorsements Covering Boundary Issues
10:45 - 11:30, Kristin A. Hauptman
- Standardized or Transaction Specific
- Owner's or Lender's or Both
- Availability and Underwriter Criteria
- Boundary-Related Title Insurance Claims: What to Do When the Title Insurer Declines Coverage
11:45 - 12:30, Kristin A. Hauptman
- Claims Submission Process Overview
- Evaluating Denial of Coverage
- Improper Denial of Coverage-Insured's Remedies.
- Spotting Critical Boundary Red Flags in the Survey
12:30 - 1:15, Kimberly Jackson
- Misplaced Fences
- Misallocated Walls
- Setback Line Violations
- Property Line Encroachments
- Easement Encroachments
- Road and Access Issues
- Property Line Gaps and Overlaps
- Riparian Boundary Issues
- Comparing New Surveys to Old Surveys: Have Any Boundary Issues Appeared or Disappeared?
1:45 - 2:15, Kimberly Jackson
- Spotting Boundary Discrepancies Between the Legal Description and the Survey
2:15 - 2:45, Kimberly Jackson
- Spotting Boundary Discrepancies Between Surveys and Chains of Title
2:45 - 3:15, Erin P. Davenport
- Critical Typographical and Clerical Errors
- Discrepancies Between Prior Deeds and New Surveys
- Gaps, Strips and Gores: Divining the Intent of Past Parties
- Creating Boundary Line Agreements that Clearly Define Title
3:30 - 4:15, Erin P. Davenport
- Practical Issues in Creating Agreements: Known vs. Unknown Boundaries
- The Agreement Contents; What Should and Should not be Included?
- Dealing with Liens and Mortgages
- Subdivision Approval: When is it Required?
- Conducting a Title Transfer
- Handling Transfer Taxes
- Ensuring Boundary Agreements are Part of the Chain of Title
- Alternatives to Boundary Line Agreements: When are They the Best Option?
- Quiet Title Essentials to Resolve Title and Boundary Issues
4:15 - 5:00, Erin P. Davenport
- The Top Issues That Sink a Quiet Title Action Before it Begins
- Ensuring Claimants Have a Legitimate Claim to Property
- Proving Superior Title: Putting Key Elements in Place
- Insufficient or Invalid Legal Descriptions
- Example Checklists
This overview of boundary issues affecting real estate title is for attorneys. Real estate professionals, title agents, banking professionals and paralegals may also find it useful.