Cutting Edge Defense Strategies for Overcoming Challenges You're Currently Facing
With all of the recent rule and legislation changes, developing case law, and current legal issues surfacing in criminal law, it's critical that you're fully up to speed and equipped with the latest defense strategies. This full-day, comprehensive program will provide you with the latest methods for overcoming forensic evidence challenges, hearsay issues and social media obstacles. You'll also gain cross examination strategies, new tactics for identifying illegal searches, cutting edge voir dire tips and much more. Learn from seasoned veterans on innovative defense strategies in criminal litigation. Register today!
- Get the latest legislation and rule changes affecting criminal law.
- Learn new methods for how to get illegally-seized evidence thrown out.
- Anticipate what the prosecutor might throw at your client during sentencing.
- Discover defense strategies for cross-examining the prosecution's expert witness.
- Discover new tips for identifying investigation mistakes made by the prosecution.
- Find out the latest strategies for overcoming hearsay challenges.
- Gain cutting edge voir dire and jury selection tips.
- Identify prosecutor errors, including illegal searches and improper interrogations.
- Get tips on how to get forensic expert testimony admitted into evidence.
- Recent Developments in Criminal Law
9:00 - 9:30, Jeffrey A. Klingfuss
- Legislative Update
- Using Recent Case Law to Help Your Case
- Tips from the Prosecutor for the Defense
9:30 - 10:30, Michael Guest and Alfred B. Jernigan Jr.
- Preliminary Hearing
- Plea Bargaining
- What You can Expect at Sentencing
- Investigation, Motions and Subpoenas
10:45 - 11:45, Frank W. Trapp
- Deposing Witnesses
- Using Forensic Expert Witnesses to Your Advantage
- Obtaining Public Records, Police Files and Cell Phone Records
- Using Subpoenas/Motions to Get What They Don't Want You to Have
- Obtaining and Suppressing Social Media Evidence
- Polygraph Analysis
- Re-Testing DNA Evidence
- Challenging the State's Evidence
12:45 - 1:15, George T. Holmes
- Electronically Stored Information (ESI)
- Character Evidence
- Search and Seizure
- Procedural Issues
1:15 - 1:45, George T. Holmes
- Defective Indictments
- Jury Instructions
- Preserving Error for Appeal
- Cutting Edge Voir Dire and Cross-Examination Strategies
1:45 - 2:30, James B. Tucker
- The Art of Voir Dire (Social Media's Role, Preparation Tips, Questions to Always Ask, Identifying Who to Strike, etc.)
- Cross Examination of the Prosecution's Lay Witness
- Direct Examination of Expert Witnesses
- Cross Examination of the Prosecution's Expert Witness
- Expert Witness Criminal Defense Tips
2:45 - 3:30, John M. Colette
- Preparing Your Expert Witness for Deposition
- Experts and Hearsay in the Courtroom
- Using Medical Examiners and Forensic Pathologists to Your Advantage
- Getting Forensic Expert Testimony Admitted Into Evidence
- Ethical Considerations for the Criminal Defense Attorney
3:30 - 4:30, John M. Colette
- Conflicts of Interest in Criminal Cases
- Criminal Contempt of Court
- What to do When Your Client Lies
- Ethics, Social Media and Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Communication Between Bench and Bar
This intermediate level course is designed for attorneys who practice criminal law.