Stay on the Cutting Edge of Medicaid Practice
For your aging clients, looking to find affordable assisted care has become a top priority. This program will walk you through the most current and effective Medicaid planning to aid your clients. Our faculty will address excluded assets, income eligibility, qualifying transfer techniques, estate recovery rules and more. Order today!
- Hear the latest changes to Medicaid programs and eligibility.
- Clear up out-of-state coverage issues before applying for Medicaid.
- Find new ways to transfer assets without risking eligibility.
- Determine what assets count as "without saleable value" for purposes of qualified transfers.
This is a rebroadcast of the original webcast delivered by Sarah J. Barnes and Thomas J. Murphy on March 28, 2019. Faculty will be available to answer your questions after the program.
10:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
- IS MEDICAID RIGHT FOR YOUR CLIENT?
10:00 - 11:00, Sarah J. Barnes
- Is Medicaid the Right Solution for the Client?
- Citizenship and Residency
- Application for Other Benefits
- Client and Agency Responsibilities (Reporting Changes of Income)
- Out-of-State Coverage
- New and Amended Eligibility Categories under the ACA
- Medicaid Coverage vs. Private Alternatives
- Limits on Medicare Long-Term Care Coverage
- ACA and PACE Eligibility: Recent Changes to In-Home Care Services Coverage
- Four Basic Eligibility Criteria in a Nutshell
- Partial Eligibility and Share of Cost
- EXCLUDED VS. COUNTABLE ASSETS
11:15 - 12:30, Thomas J. Murphy
- Community Spouse Resource Allowance and CSRA Appeal
- Assets Without Saleable Value
- Insurance and Other Assets Being Converted
- When are Bank Accounts Excluded?
- Creating Burial Contracts/Funeral Trusts
- Disaster Relief Act and Other Excluded Government Payment Programs (Reparation Payments, Alaskan Native Claims, Nazi Persecution Payments, etc.)
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Garden/Wood Plots and Other Property Used for Home Consumption
- Limits on Household Goods
- Income-Producing Property
- Insurance Settlements
- Life Estates/Life Leases and Their Impact on Estate Planning
- When Life Insurance Becomes Countable
- Stocks, Bonds, and Mutual Fund Shares
- Valuation of Assets for Eligibility Purposes
- INCOME ELIGIBILITY
1:00 - 1:45, Thomas J. Murphy
- How MAGI (Modified Adjusted Gross Income) is Calculated
- Common Risks to Income Eligibility
- Monthly Maintenance Need Allowance for the Community Spouse
- QUALIFYING ASSET TRANSFERS: WHICH TECHNIQUES WORK
1:45 - 2:45, Thomas J. Murphy
- Timing of the Transfers
- DRA and Look-Back Period
- Transfer Penalty
- Penalty Beginning Date
- Partial Months of Ineligibility
- What Counts as a Gift for Purposes of Medicaid Planning?
- Repayment of Debts and Prepayment of Expenses: Creative Uses
- Recording Purchase of Exempt Assets
- Treatment of IRAs and Retirement Accounts
- Purchase of a Life Estate
- Planning with Promissory Notes and Annuities
- The Reverse Half-Loaf Income Technique
- How to Protect the Community Spouse
- Reverse Mortgage: Legitimate Solution or Scam Artist's Dream?
- Other Exempt Transfers
- LEGAL ETHICS
3:00 - 4:00, Sarah J. Barnes
- Conflicts of Interest when Representing Both Spouses
- Protecting Confidentiality
- Attorney Fees
- Mental Capacity in Elder Law
- Practical Scenarios - What Would You Do?
- LIENS, ESTATE RECOVERY AND HARDSHIP WAIVERS
4:00 - 5:00, Sarah J. Barnes
- State Estate Recovery Rules
- Hardship Waivers
- Estate Recovery Exemption with Qualified Long-Term Care Insurance Policy
- Claim Reduction Approaches
This program is designed for attorneys. Nursing home administrators, paralegals, accountants and CPAs, estate and financial planners, investment advisers, and geriatric care managers will also benefit from attending.