Know the Salient Points of Marijuana Laws and Effectively Advise Your Clients
The legalization of marijuana has created business opportunities, but it has also created many questions and uncertainties for attorneys advising businesses due to the position of the federal government. What are possible federal responses to legalized cannabis? What types of businesses does state law allow, and how does a potential business owner obtain a permit? When is an attorney potentially violating federal law by merely assisting a client? Learn the answers to these questions and more - register today!
- Understand how the federal government can use forfeiture laws to close marijuana-related businesses.
- Evaluate the current banking landscape and determine whether a cannabusiness can obtain financing.
- Ensure marijuana business clients have business policies and procedures in place that help them avoid legal scrutiny.
- Confidently advise clients on all aspects of the marijuana business licensing process.
- Gain practical legal tips on cannabis product packaging, labeling and testing.
- Recognize the state and federal tax implications for cannabis-related businesses.
- Analyze the ethical implications of advising cannabis business clients.
- Federal Responses to Michigan Marijuana Law
9:00 - 10:00, Barton W. Morris
- Current Federal Enforcement Priorities
- Federal Memos and Contradictory Messages
- Possible Legal Consequences to Cannabis Consumers Under Federal Law
- Gun Control Act of 1968
- Federal Housing Assistance
- State Agencies and Federal Funding
- Preemption and the Controlled Substance Act
- Marijuana Business Law in Michigan
10:15 - 11:15, Barton W. Morris
- Powers of State Regulatory Agencies
- Marketing Restrictions
- Zoning Requirements
- Employment Rules and Restrictions
- Negotiating Third-Party Agreements with Cultivators, Managers, etc.
- Premises Security Regulation Compliance
- State Regulatory Agency Inspections
- Obtaining a Michigan Cannabis Business License
11:15 - 12:15, Bruce Leach
- Application Procedures: Avoiding Mistakes
- Grounds for License Refusal
- License Renewals
- License Transfers
- Appealing Application Denials
- Legal Best Practices for Marijuana Product Packaging and Testing
1:15 - 2:15, Bruce Leach
- Labeling Rules: Product Dosage, etc.
- Packaging Restrictions: Appearance, Child-Proofing and Other Issues
- Obtaining Trademarks
- Ensuring Proper Food Safety Procedures for Edibles
- Product Testing and Third-Party Testing Laboratories
- Avoiding Product Liability Pitfalls
- Cannabis Disposal Protocols
- Marijuana Taxation
2:30 - 3:30, Matthew Roman
- IRC §280E - Deduction of Business Expense
- Cash Payments
- Other Emerging Issues
- Strategies to Overcome Taxation Difficulties
- Current Tax Updates
3:30 - 4:30, Daniel W. Grow
- Marijuana and Rules of Professional Conduct
- Duty to Pursue Justice
- Attorney Use of Cannabis Products
- Attorney Ownership of Cannabis Businesses
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar provides practical information on marijuana law for:
- Accountants and CPAs
- Bankers and Commercial Lenders
- Enrolled Agents
- Certified Financial Planners