Maintain an Ethical Practice and Honorable Reputation
The day-to-day practice of an attorney is riddled with ethical risks both from internal and external sources. Keeping up with all the compliance rules and ways you need to protect yourself and your office from malpractice is essential. This program will help you stay up to date on the top issues that can lead to ethical violations, including incorrectly drafted engagement agreements, unprotected digital communication with clients, and witnessing another colleague's ethical misbehavior. Know the steps you must take under the rules - register today!
- Learn how to avoid accepting clients who may bring you high-risk ethical repercussions.
- Discover the key points you need to include when drafting effective engagement letters and fee agreements.
- Take away samples of effective future conflicts waivers.
- Understand the multitude of ways you need to protect your client files while using the cloud and mobile devices.
- Learn how to protect yourself from inadvertent disclosures.
- Keep your reputation intact and prevent common ethical violations many attorneys don't realize they are making.
- Find out what you must do if you witness a colleague's unethical practices.
- Explore dissolving client-attorney relationships and details you need to consider before closing the file.
This is a rebroadcast of the original webcast delivered by Keith Sellen and Steven R. Sorenson on November 29, 2016.
Faculty will be available to answer your questions after the program.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- Top Ten Clients to Avoid - and How to Spot Them Early
1:00 - 1:25, Gerald A. Connor
- Drafting Engagement Agreements and Fee Issues
1:25 - 1:50, Joshua P. Gilmore
- Non-Engagement Letters
- Identifying Accidental Clients
- Drafting Dos and Donts (With Sample)
- Drafting Effective Engagement Letters and Fee Agreements (With Sample)
- Sharing Fees on a Joint Responsibility Basis - Key Issues
- No Need to Sue! Effective and Ethical Fee Collection Strategies
- Future Conflicts Waivers
1:50 - 2:15, Joshua P. Gilmore
- Do They Work? Case Law Examination
- How to Draft an Effective Future Conflicts Waiver (With Sample)
- Confidentiality in the Digital World
2:30 - 3:00, Joshua P. Gilmore
- E-Mail Disclaimers and Encrypting/Password-Protecting Files
- Metadata - Protecting Against Inadvertent Disclosure
- Confidentiality Tips for Mobile Attorneys
- Protecting Client Confidentiality in the Cloud
- Best Practices for Handling Inadvertent Disclosures
- Youve Been Hacked! What Should You Do?
- You Witness a Colleague Engage in Unethical Behavior... Now What?
3:00 - 3:25, Gerald A. Connor
- Common Ethical Violations Many Attorneys Dont Realize Theyre Making
3:25 - 3:50, Gerald A. Connor
- Terminating the Lawyer-Client Relationship
3:50 - 4:15, Joshua P. Gilmore
- Drafting Disengagement Letters (With Sample)
- How Best to Proceed If a Client Disappears
- How Long Should You Hold Onto a Clients File?
This program is designed for attorneys. Paralegals may also benefit from attending.