Effective and Ethical Ways of Using Attorney Liens to Get Paid
Setting attorney fees the client accepts is just the first step - collecting them is an entirely different, and often frustrating, part of the attorney's job. This focused course will give you all the knowledge and skills you'll need to use charging liens to ensure full payment. Register today!
- Compare the use of charging liens to retaining liens.
- Find new effective ways for ensuring enforcement of the lien.
- Make certain your fee collection practices comply with all the ethics rules.
Session Time: 10:00 AM - 1:15 PM Eastern
Break: 12:00 PM - 12:15 PM Eastern
Presenter: John C. Martin
- Charging Liens 101
- What is an Attorney Charging Lien?
- Retaining Lien vs. Charging Lien
- Rights of Charging Lienholder
- Enforcement of the Attorney Charging Lien
- Procedural Considerations
- Notice of the Lien
- Collecting the Fee
- Recent Trends Around the Country Involving Attorney Charging Liens
- Ethical Considerations (12:15 - 1:15)
- Amount of the Lien
- Relevant Services
- Duties to Third Parties
This legal course is designed for attorneys. It will also benefit law office administrators and paralegals.