Confidently Handle Subdivision, Annexation and Zoning Processes
Looking for the latest developments on land use law? Want to know how to use the laws and regulations to your fullest advantage? With this one-day seminar, quickly advance your understanding and learn how to avoid legal entanglements to make sure every transaction is smooth and successful. Don't miss this opportunity to attain the information you need - register today!
- Expand your subdivision knowledge by knowing how city, county and township platting processes work.
- Analyze a comprehensive plan to determine if all the key elements are included.
- Recognize who has the power to zone and how those decisions affect you.
- Ensure that critical environmental laws and procedures are adhered to.
- TAKE A COMPREHENSIVE LOOK AT LAND USE LAW
9:00 - 10:00, Victor J. Franckiewicz Jr.
- The Power to Zone: Legal and Practical Fundamentals
- How Zoning Amendments and Variances Differ
- Board of Adjustment’s Role in Zoning and Beyond
- Navigating the Appeal Process
- What is Environmentally Driven Zoning Law?
- The Growing Force of the Fair Housing Act in Zoning
- The Impact of Current Land Use Law: Special Topics in Louisiana
- ANALYZE THE LAND SUBDIVISION PROCESS
10:15 - 11:00, Mark A. Balkin
- Planning Commissions
- Planning Commissions vs. Zoning Commissions
- Subdivision is Not Zoning
- Subdivision Issues
- The Platting Process
- Inspections, Dedications and Vacations
- Private or Public Streets
- Impact Fees
- New Urbanism in Subdivision Regulations
- UNDERSTAND THE DEVELOPMENT AND UTILIZATION OF THE COMPREHENSIVE PLAN
11:00 - 12:00, Victor J. Franckiewicz Jr.
- Definition of a Comprehensive Plan
- Key Components of a Comprehensive Plan
- How Comprehensive Plans Impact Different Units of Government
- What is the Basis for Land Use Control? A Policy, Map, or no Plan at all?
- Procedures for the Adoption and Amendment of the Plan
- How the Plan is Implemented
- The Importance of Consistency Within the Plan
- Tips for Working Within - and Outside of - the Plan
- PROFESSIONALISM IN LOUISIANA
1:00 - 2:00, Mark A. Balkin
- Rules Governing Professional Conduct
- Your Reputation and the Big Picture
- Why Playing by the Rules is the Only Way to Practice
- ETHICS IN LAND USE
2:15 - 3:15, Mark A. Balkin
- Ethical Concerns for Administrative/Quasi-Judicial Actions
- Ex Parte Contacts with Decision Makers
- Contact with Unrepresented People
- Restrictions on Attorneys Who Currently Serve as Public Servants
- Recusal and Disqualifications
- Restrictions on Attorneys Post Public Service
- STAY ON TOP OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONSIDERATIONS
3:15 - 4:30, Alan D. Weinberger
- Look At the Impact of Environmental Regulations on Land Use
- How Endangered Species Fit Into Land Use
- Why Primary Permit Requirements are Vital to Successful Development
- Strategies for Controlling Wetlands Use and Abuse
- Who Does Superfund Liability Extend To?
- Reuse of Environmentally Impaired Property: Liability Issues and Impact Reduction
- How Hazardous Substances Impact Land Development
This intermediate level program is designed for those who want to advance their land use knowledge to the next level. The following should attend:
- City and urban planners
- Local zoning and land use officials