Tackle the Most Challenging and Complex Adoption Cases
Go beyond the basics with sophisticated answers and tools you need to stay at the helm of adoption law. Learn high-level ways to confidently navigate sticky problems in adoption by consent, proceedings for the termination of parental rights, interstate adoptions and more. Take your skills to the next level and explore intriguing issues at the depth they deserve - register today!
- Become better prepared to handle cases involving vulnerable birth parents, such as incarcerated parents, minors, and parents with incapacities.
- Explore how the new BIA guidelines impact Indian child cases.
- Stay on the cutting edge: explore the latest legal developments regarding same sex and unmarried couples adoptions.
- Confidently navigate complicated international adoption issues while avoiding legal landmines.
- Walk through the procedures and forms that are essential in handling assisted reproduction issues.
- Examine practical ethical subjects, such as how to properly obtain consent from birthparents.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- Terminating Parental Rights: Urgently Resolving Challenges
10:00 - 11:00, Patrick Lacroix
- Obtaining Confirmed Consent and Surrender of Birth Parents
- When a Birthmother is Lying About Not Knowing a Father's Identity
- Terminating the Rights of Unknown Birth Fathers
- Abandonment Concerns
- Vulnerable Birthparents (Incarcerated Parents, Minors, Parents with Psychiatric Disabilities)
- Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) in the Adoption Process
11:15 - 12:15, Larry S. Jenkins
- New ICWA Regulations
- Best Interests of the Child vs. Best Interests of the Indian Child
- Obtaining Proper Voluntary Consent
- Determining "Active Efforts"
- Placement Preferences/Birth Mother Choice
- Tribal Rights and Giving Tribal Notice
- Adoptive Couple v. Baby Girl - How/if the Case Impacts State Statutes
- Unmarried Couples and Same Sex Adoptions
12:45 - 1:45, Patrick Lacroix
- Legal Update on LGBT Marriage and Adoption
- Jurisdictions That Do/Do Not Allow
- The Rights of the Non-Biological Parent
- Unmarried Couples Who Adopt Together
- Parenting Plans
- Overcoming Obstacles to International Adoptions - What You Need to Know
1:45 - 2:30, Kathleen M. Tana
- Risks and Realities Clients Need to Know
- Locating a Child to be Adopted
- Dealing with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- Crucial Steps Involving Birth Certificates and Citizenship
- Special Immigrant Juveniles (SIJ) and Crossover Issues in Immigration, Guardianship and Adoption
- Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC) - Handling "Trouble" States and Complex Choice of Law Issues
2:30 - 3:15, Larry S. Jenkins
- Enforceability of Post-Adoption Contact Agreements
3:30- 4:00, Kathleen M. Tana
- Ethical Issues in Adoption Law
4:00 - 5:00, Kathleen M. Tana
- Avoiding Malpractice
- Attorneys' Fees
- Obtaining Voluntary Consent from Birthparents
- High-Level Tips for Working with Judges and Opposing Counsel
This course is designed for attorneys. Social workers, counselors, child representatives, and paralegals may also benefit from attending.