Get Answers to Complicated Land Survey, Legal Description and Title Issues
Conflicting, outdated and imprecise information in surveys, legal descriptions and titles is a constant threat to real estate transactions and an open door to problems down the road. You know what can go wrong, but are you confident you can resolve even the most complex and tangled due diligence problems? This focused legal guide goes beyond the basics, to give you the answers to the thorniest issues. Register today!
- Hear real-world insights from an experienced surveyor and power up your survey reading skills.
- Expand your list of resources and get better at using government records to resolve conflicting surveys.
- Get tips for faster and more thorough cross-reading of surveys and legal descriptions to spot easily overlooked discrepancies.
- Learn what corrective actions are still available once the faulty legal description is already in the chain of title.
- Explore top title defects and their most effective remedies.
- Get clarification on top tough-to-read endorsements.
- Protect your professional reputation with a legal ethics guide tailored to real estate practice.
- Deciphering Surveys: In-Depth Insights from a Surveyor
9:00 - 10:30, J. Colt Ratliff
- ALTA/NSPS Survey Standards: Critical Changes and Additional Options
- What Different Types of Surveys Can Tell an Experienced Reader
- Perimeter Surveys
- Boundary Surveys
- Topographical Surveys
- Surveys Used in New Construction ("As Built", Foundation, etc.)
- Surveys for Unique Developments and Interests in Various Segments of Interest in Land
- Working with Surveyors to Clarify Expectations and Correct Mistakes
- Changes Stemming from Use of the Land
- Inaccurate and Missing Markers
- New Tech Survey Tools and Equipment and the Problems They Create
- Using Surveys in Division of Land
- Conflicting and Contested Surveys: Powerful Remedies to Resolve Boundary Problems
10:45 - 11:45, John D. Mayo
- The Role of Historic City Planning Tools and Other Government Records in Clarifying Contested Property Lines
- Means to Correct or Overcome Encroachments
- Evidence for Boundary Agreements: Written, Oral, Implied
- Action for Reformation
- Supporting Title Conveyance
- Surveyor Liability: Damage, Negligence, Breach of Contract and Breach of Duty
- Troubleshooting Complex Legal Description Issues and Errors
11:45 - 1:00, John D. Mayo
- Core Mistakes to Watch for (by Legal Description Method)
- Legal Descriptions That Don't Close
- Seemingly Minor Typos: Are They Fatal?
- Outdated, Vague and Inaccurate Descriptions
- Mismatched Surveys and Legal Descriptions
- Locating the Source of Discrepancies
- Correcting Mistakes
- Using Surveys to Prove/Disprove Legal Description Validity
- Changes in the Landscape and Metes and Bounds Legal Descriptions
- How to Fix an Incorrect Legal Description Already in the Chain of Title
- Correcting Legal Description Defects After Issuance of Title Insurance Policy
- The Deed and Other Due Diligence Tools: Commonly Overlooked Pitfalls
- Working with Local Government to Resolve Discrepancies
- Thorny Title Problems: Resolving or Insuring Over Defects
2:00 - 3:15, R. Bradford Jones
- Survey Reading and Inspection: What Title Professionals Look for
- Minimizing Exceptions
- Title Policy and Title Report: Preventing Delays and Undiscovered Landmines
- Top Title Defects and Remedies
- Difficult to Translate Endorsements: An ALTA to English Guide
- Determinations of When Damage has Occurred as is Payable
- Legal Ethics
3:30 - 4:30, Eduardo V. Martinez
- Attorney Duty of Diligence
- Disclosure of Defects in Property
- Attorney Fees
- Conflicts of Interest
This advanced level seminar will benefit:
- Real Estate Professionals
- Zoning, Land Use and Planning Professionals
- Title Agents and Underwriters
- Property Appraisers and Assessors
- Bankers and Loan Officers