Legal Best Practices for the Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems
The use of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), or drones, is becoming much more common, but how confident are you in your ability to provide clients with answers to their most pressing legal questions regarding the use of this emerging technology? In this comprehensive overview of the current legal landscape, our experienced faculty will illuminate the many pitfalls that exist and provide you with the information you need to provide practical legal advice to government, commercial and recreational UAS users. Ensure your clients understand the legal aspects of responsible drone usage - register today!
- Understand the legal and practical definitions of what is - and is not - a drone.
- Get the latest updates on drone legal requirements that your clients need to remain compliant.
- Determine when and where drones can be used for commercial or hobby purposes.
- Analyze current Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) enforcement efforts, and advise commercial UAS users on legal best practices.
- Know what constitutes aerial trespass in the space above homes and business.
- Confidently navigate state and local UAS laws, rules, regulations and zoning codes.
Panelists: Morgan W. Campbell, Mark A. Dombroff, Mark E. McKinnon and James H. Williams
- Overview of Classification and Terminology
9:00 - 10:00
- What is a Drone? The History of Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) Regulation
- Is a Drone an Aircraft? Are Model Aircraft Drones?
- Definitions and Terminology
- UAS Operations
- Case Law Update
- Registration: The New FAA sUAS Requirements and Exceptions
10:00 - 10:45
- The Federal UAS Regulatory Environment: Hobby Use vs. Commercial Use
11:00 - 12:00
- Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act
- Spacing and Distance Requirements
- Aircraft Requirements
- Operating Rules
- Law Enforcement Engagement With Suspected Unauthorized UAS Operations
- Pilot Requirements
- Applying Recent Case Law
- Current FAA UAS Enforcement: How to Respond if Your Client is Targeted
1:00 - 2:00
- Current FAA Enforcement Efforts
- Responding to an FAA Investigation
- Recent Case Law
- Trespass, Nuisance and Privacy: More Questions Than Answers?
2:00 - 2:45
- Commercial vs. Recreational Use: Legal Issues and Liability
- Noise, Nuisance and Safety Considerations
- Liability Concerns
- Real Estate Lease Issues and Violations
- Nuisance Laws
- State Civil and Criminal Laws
- Trespass Case Law
- Private Property Protections for Low Altitude Airspace
- What Constitutes Aerial Trespass?
- Current Case Law and Legislative Updates
- New State and Local Laws, Rules, Regulations and Zoning Codes
3:00 - 3:30
3:30 - 4:30
- Ethics in Government Conflicts of Interest With Government Officials
- Technology's Impact on Privacy and Confidentiality Issues
- Attorney-Client Privilege - Identifying the Real Client
- Participation in Political Activities
This basic-to-intermediate level course on unmanned aircraft system legal issues is for the following professionals:
- Real Estate Professionals and Surveyors
- Government Officials
- Police Officers
- Insurance Professionals