We are committed to safeguarding the health of our attendees and speakers. This seminar has been moved to an online format due to public health concerns.
Employment Law Fundamentals
Employer-employee relationships are infinitely varied and rife with potential conflict. This comprehensive employment law guide will walks through the legal essentials you need to speak with authority on employment issues. Explore both litigation and compliance aspects of the law to help you handle any questions likely to cross your path. Order today!
- Get the latest update on state and local employment laws and regs.
- Walk through FMLA, USERRA and other employee leave laws.
- Ensure all equal employment rules are obeyed.
- Review common discrimination, harassment and retaliation issues.
- Get FLSA and state wage and hour essentials on employee classifications and top claims.
- Clarify workplace safety rules and best practices.
- Find out how workplace investigations are used in employment litigation.
All times are shown in Mountain time
- The Employment Relationship: Employment at Will and Exceptions
9:00 - 10:00, Ryan B. Frazier
- State and Local Employment Laws Update
10:15 - 11:15, Ryan B. Frazier
- FMLA Leave Essentials
11:15 - 12:15, Mark D. Tolman
- FMLA - What it Says
- Interactions with ADA and State Workers' Comp Laws
- Key Leave, Accommodation and Disability Issues
- ADA - From Accommodation to Discrimination
1:15 - 2:15, Sean A. Monson
- Equal Employment Laws (Title VII, ADEA, GINA, EPA, PDA, and More)
2:30 - 3:30, Sean A. Monson
- Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation Claims
3:30 - 4:30, D. Scott Crook
- Common Claims
- Burdens of Proof, Production and Persuasion
- Employer Documentation That Makes or Breaks Claims
- EEOC and State Agency Charges
- Workplace Privacy (HIPAA, GINA, etc.)
9:00 - 9:50, David C. Castleberry
- FLSA Essentials
10:05 - 10:55, David C. Castleberry
- Employer vs. Employee
- Hours Worked
- Employee Classification
- Independent Contractors
- Salespeople and Commissioned Employees
- A Step-by-Step Guide Through the Civil Complaint Process
- OSHA and Workplace Safety: Section 11(c) Retaliation or Adverse Action Rule
10:55 - 11:45, Judson D. Stelter
- NLRB Rules and Decisions
12:45 - 1:35, Christopher M. Glauser
- Union Avoidance: What is Legal, What is Questionable
- Union Elections, Collective Bargaining, Labor Arbitrations
- NLRB and Non-Union Employers
- State and Local Wage and Hour Laws
1:35 - 2:25, Christopher M. Glauser
- Key Discovery and Evidence Issues in Employment Litigation
2:40 - 3:30, Clayton H. Preece
- Discoverability of Workplace Investigation Reports
- Job Description
- Employee Handbook
- Emails, Voicemails, Texts
- Employment Records
- Co-Worker Testimony
- Ethical Issues in Employment Law
3:30 - 4:30, Clayton H. Preece
- Key Rules of Professional Conduct
- Privileged Communications
- Identifying and Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
This basic level seminar offers employment law essentials that will benefit:
- Human Resource Personnel
- Presidents and Vice Presidents