Confidently Navigate the Complexities of Firearm Laws - From the Gun Show to the Holster
The constitutional protection of individual gun rights has never been stronger, but regulatory and liability concerns can hamper even the most responsible owner. Is your knowledge of federal, state and local law effective enough to protect your client from criminal or civil charges? Let our experienced faculty give you the insight you need. Learn the difference between Title 1 and Title 2 firearms, the requirements for selling at a gun show versus selling to a private party, and more. Make sure your clients are able to exercise their Second Amendment rights while avoiding liabilities that can put themselves or others at risk. Register today!
- Understand the lesser-known constitutional aspects of firearms law, including the First Amendment issues that surround gun shows.
- Know how the Firearms Owners Protection Act affects the possession of automatic weapons.
- Learn how to fight gun confiscations by law enforcement and contest errors in background checks.
- Identify situation in which you should or must break confidentiality with your client.
- Find out the legal requirements for an individual who buys multiple handguns in the same purchase.
- Recognize what Title 2 firearms are and the unique purchasing and taxation requirements that come with them.
- Discover the potential criminal or civil liability individuals can face under Child Access Prevention laws.
- Constitutional Components of Firearms Law
9:00 - 9:45, Written by Eric H. Schweitzer. Presented by Eric H. Schweitzer in Fresno and Dennise S. Henderson in Sacramento.
- The Second Amendment
- Other Amendments That Pertain to Firearms Law
- Gun Shows and the First Amendment
- Search and Seizure Issues and the Fourth Amendment
- The Taxing and Commerce Clauses
- State and Federal Firearms Laws: What Attorneys Need to Know
9:45 - 10:30, Written by Karen L. Lynch. Presented by Karen L. Lynch in Fresno and Adam J. Richards in Sacramento.
- State Gun Law Update: Changes You Need to Know!
- Firearm Regulations at the State Level
- National Firearms Act of 1934
- Gun Control Act of 1968
- Firearms Owners Protection Act
- Brady Handgun Violence Protection Act
- California Concealed and Open Carry Law
10:45 - 11:30, Written by Karen L. Lynch. Presented by Karen L. Lynch in Fresno and Michael J. Wise in Sacramento.
- Gun Ownership Legal Concerns
11:30 - 12:15, Written by Eric H. Schweitzer. Presented by Eric H. Schweitzer in Fresno and Michael J. Wise in Sacramento.
- Restricted and Prohibited Weapons
- Persons Prohibited from Possessing a Firearm
- Licensing Requirements and Penalties for Breaking Them
- Restoration of Second Amendment Rights
- Gun Confiscations by Local, State or Federal Officials
- Correcting Errors in NICS Background Check
- Rules for Transporting Weapons
- Understanding Reciprocity with Neighboring States
- Ethical Considerations When Representing Gun Owners or Dealers
1:15 - 2:15, Written by Michael J. Wise. Presented by Charles Magill in Fresno and Michael J. Wise in Sacramento.
- Exceptions to Attorney-Client Privilege Under Model Rule 1.6
- Attempt to Commit Crime or Fraud
- When Clients are a Danger to Themselves or Others
- How to Get Advice About Potentially Breaking Privilege
- Title 1 Firearms and Their Regulation
2:30 - 3:15,
Written by Jerry R. Lowe. Presented by Jerry R. Lowe in Fresno and Adam J. Richards in Sacramento.
- Modern Firearms, Curios and Relics, and Antiques - Important Definitions
- Purchasing Requirements
- Form 4473
- Multiple Handguns and Form 3310.4
- Private Party Transfers and Gun Show Purchases
- Title 1 Firearms and Purchasers with Criminal Records and Restraining Orders
- Title 2 Firearms: Unique and Misunderstood
3:15 - 3:45, Written by Charles Magill. Presented by Charles Magill in Fresno and Mark J. Reichel in Sacramento.
- What is a Title 2 Firearm?
- Protecting and Transferring Title II Collections: The Future of NFA Gun Trusts
- Tax and Purchase Procedures for Title 2 Firearms
- Title 2 Firearms and Entities Exempt from Tax and Purchasing Requirements
- Determining if a Title 2 Firearm is on the NFA Registry
- Liability Concerns for Gun Dealers and Owners
3:45 - 4:30, Written by Jerry R. Lowe. Presented by Jerry R. Lowe in Fresno and Mark J. Reichel in Sacramento.
- Criminal vs. Civil Penalties for Firearm Injuries
- Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act and Lawsuits Against Firearm Manufacturers
- Individual Liability in Accidental Shootings
- Child Access Prevention Laws
- Stolen Firearm Used in a Crime
- Lawful vs. Unlawful Uses of Force
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar is intended for attorneys. The content will be useful for law enforcement, government officials, firearm dealers and advocates for gun rights or gun control. Paralegals may also benefit.