Top Technology Matters Business Attorneys Need to Know
Technology concerns are something businesses continuously face. Do you have the fundamental knowledge in this area to properly address and advise your business clients? Don't let these technology issues scare you off! Join our experienced faculty as they walk through essential knowledge you need to know about data privacy, information security, confidentiality, social media accounts and more. Enhance your baseline technology knowledge so you can advise your business clients on the legal issues, liabilities and risks - register today!
- Explore the fundamentals of information technology used in businesses.
- Discuss information security, data privacy and liability concerns that need to be addressed with your clients.
- Review crucial confidentiality considerations businesses must evaluate.
- Examine methods to manage social media accounts while maintaining the business' reputation.
- Develop a plan for retaining documents in anticipation of litigation holds.
- Information Technology 101
9:00 - 10:00, Rex Scifres
- Business Computer Network and Database Administration
- What is "The Cloud" and How Does it Work?
- Business Software, Servers and Electronic Data Storage 101
- Backup Systems
- Why Deleting Doesn't Destroy
- Mobile and Wireless Usage
- Information Security, Data Privacy and Liability Issues
10:15 - 11:15, Rex Scifres
- PCI Compliance, Data Privacy Laws, Data Security Regulations
- Creating a Data Map and Inventory
- "Bring-Your-Own-Device" Risks and Policies
- Managing Data Access Internally and Externally
- Recording Phone Calls
- Data Retention Policies
- Protecting Data
- Use of Unsecured Networks
- Cybersecurity Threats
- Confidentiality Issues with Technology
11:15 - 12:15,
Elijah M. Watkins
- Among Employees and Vendors
- Who has Access to Accounts?
- Accidental Dissemination of Material Non-Public Information
- Sending Documents to the Wrong Parties
- Email Privacy Policies
- Facebook, Twitter and Other Social Media
1:15 - 2:15,
Bradlee R. Frazer
- Defamation, Libel and Negative Reviews
- Employee Regulation and Employer Risk
- Social Media Policies
- Ownership of the Social Media Account
- Copyright Infringement and Trademark Issues
- Document Retention and Litigation Holds
2:30 - 3:30,
Elijah M. Watkins
- Legal Requirements and Potential Issues
- How to Retain Electronic Documents
- Redundancies in Retaining Information
- What are Litigation Holds?
- What is a Clawback?
- Legal Ethics
3:30 - 4:30,
Andrea J. Fontaine
- Who is Your Client?
- Attorney Confidentiality
- Conflicts of Interest
- Attorney Fees
This basic-to-intermediate level program is designed for attorneys and paralegals. It may also benefit business owners, executives and IT professionals.