Confidently Navigate the Complexities of Firearm Laws - From the Gun Show to the Holster
The constitutional protection of individual gun rights has never been stronger, but regulatory and liability concerns can hamper even the most responsible owner. Is your knowledge of federal, state and local law effective enough to protect your client from criminal or civil charges? Let our experienced faculty give you the insight you need. Learn the difference between Title 1 and Title 2 firearms, the requirements for selling at a gun show versus selling to a private party, and more. Make sure your clients are able to exercise their Second Amendment rights while avoiding liabilities that can put themselves or others at risk. Register today!
- Understand the lesser-known constitutional aspects of firearms law, including the First Amendment issues that surround gun shows.
- Know how the Firearms Owners Protection Act affects the possession of automatic weapons.
- Find out the legal requirements for an individual who buys multiple handguns in the same purchase.
- Recognize what Title 2 firearms are and the unique purchasing and taxation requirements that come with them.
- Get an overview of the legal requirements that govern firearms dealers, including audits by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
- Learn how to fight gun confiscations by law enforcement and contest errors in background checks.
- Constitutional Components of Firearms Law
9:00 - 10:00,
Nathan R. Lynch
- The Second Amendment
- Other Amendments that Pertain to Firearms Law
- Gun Shows and the First Amendment
- Search and Seizure Issues and the Fourth Amendment
- The Taxing and Commerce Clauses
- State Constitutional Amendment
- Federal Firearms Laws: What Attorneys Need to Know
10:00 - 11:00, David A. Clough,
- Firearm Regulations at the State Level
- National Firearms Act of 1934
- Gun Control Act of 1968
- Firearms Owners Protection Act
- Brady Handgun Violence Protection Act
- Massachusetts Concealed and Open Carry Law
11:15 - 12:15,
Nathan R. Lynch
- Title 1 and 2 Firearms
1:15 - 2:30,
David A. Clough
- What is a Title 1 vs. 2 Firearm?
- Tax and Purchase Procedures for Title 2 Firearms
- Transportation and Use Requirements with Title 2 Firearms
- Title 2 Firearms and Entities Exempt from Tax and Purchasing Requirements
- Determining if a Title 2 Firearm is on the NFA Registry
- Protecting and Transferring Title II Collections: NFA Gun Trusts
- Firearms Dealers and Licensing Requirements
2:45 - 3:30,
Kerri A. Quintal
- Procedures for Obtaining Federal Firearms Licenses
- Record Keeping Requirements for Firearms Dealers
- ATF Audits of Firearms Dealers
- The Special Occupations Tax and Becoming a Title 2 Firearms Dealer
- Curio and Relic Licenses: Their Functions and Limitations
- Gun Ownership Legal Concerns
3:30 - 4:30, Kerri A. Quintal
- Restricted and Prohibited Weapons
- Persons Prohibited from Possessing a Firearm
- Licensing Requirements and Penalties for Breaking Them
- Restoration of Second Amendment Rights
- Gun Confiscations by Local, State or Federal Officials
- Correcting Errors in NICS Background Check
- Rules for Transporting Weapons
- Understanding Reciprocity with Neighboring States
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar is intended for attorneys. The content will be useful for law enforcement, government officials, firearm dealers and advocates for gun rights or gun control. Paralegals may also benefit.