The Minute-Taker's Workshop is for those who find themselves called upon to take minutes but who have little knowledge on how to produce an accurate record of a meeting. You may be faced with ambiguous agreements, a vague agenda, interruptions, a poor chairperson or any number of difficult issues. This course provides practical guidance on how to overcome these and other problems and to take accurate minutes.
Participants are welcome to bring along a copy of minutes from their latest meeting (non-confidential) to critique and compare (optional).
- Introductions, Objectives and Agenda
- Exercise and Discussion of Communication Styles
- Purpose of Minutes
- Misconceptions about Minute-Taking
- Valuable Minute-Taking Skills
- What makes a meeting unsuccessful?
- What makes a meeting successful?
- Cycle of a Meeting
- Typical Meeting Structure
- Meeting Roles and Responsibilities
- The Minute-Taker Before the Meeting
- The Minute-Taker During the Meeting
- The Minute-Taker After the Meeting
- Common Questions
- Useful Words for Minutes
- Recording Decisions and Actions
- Business English for Minutes