Questioning Tactics and Real-World Strategies for Getting the Results You Want
Are you confident in your abilities to cross-examine a witness? Do you find yourself struggling to get the results you need? Do you know what tactics actually work and what might land you in hot water? Cross-examination can be your most powerful tool during trial. It's also a challenging art that, if done incorrectly, can easily break your case. Learn how to effectively get the testimony you need to win over the decision makers - and discover which questions and techniques you need to avoid. Build your cross-examination skills - register today!
- Learn how to effectively find impeachment material.
- Discover how to fully ready yourself to avoid hurting your cause with inadequate preparation.
- Uncover real-world questioning techniques for controlling the direction of the examination.
- Hear how to deftly deal with objections made by opposing counsel.
- Know what to do when faced with different types of difficult or special witnesses.
- Find out how to deliver a powerful blow to an opposing expert's credibility.
- Gain proven tactics for impeaching adverse witnesses.
- Avoid mistakes and explore how to mitigate the damage to your case if you slip up.
All times shown in Eastern time.
- Rules, Research and Preparing for the Cross-Exam
11:00 - 12:00, Charles H. Van Horn
- Cross-Examination Procedure and Rules
- Finding Evidence of Unreliability and Lack of Credibility
- Investigating Witnesses Online
- Using Depositions to Obtain Information and Concessions
- Best Practices for Preparing for Cross-Examination
- Preparing Notes, Outlines, Exhibits, etc.
- Readying Your Own Client and Witnesses
- Maintaining Control of the Witness and the Direction of the Examination
12:15 - 1:45, James M. Susag
- Questioning Tactics for Cross-Examination
- Tactical Sequencing
- Using Loops
- Turning the Tables for Witnesses Who Put You on the Defensive
- Adjusting Your Language and Tone
- Eliciting Testimony That Bolsters Your Theme and Theory
- Maximizing the Impact of Concessions
- Responding to Opposing Counsel's Objections
- Cross-Examining Experts, Difficult and Special Witnesses
2:15 - 3:15, James M. Susag
- Cross-Examining Expert Witnesses
- The Hostile or Arguing Witness
- The Runaway/Explaining Witness
- The Silent or Evasive Witness
- The Lying, Mistaken or "I Don't Remember" Witness
- The Crying Witness
- The Surprise Witness
- Cross-Examining Children
- Witnesses with Diminished Capacity and Other Special Witnesses
- Effective Witness Impeachment Tactics
3:15 - 4:15, Charles H. Van Horn
- Introducing Exhibits
- Impeachment by Prior Inconsistent Statements
- Evidence of Bias
- Prior Convictions
- Character Evidence
- Inadequate Perception
- Contradiction by Other Evidence
- Anticipating and Responding to Objections
- Using Depositions for Impeachment at Trial
- Avoiding Mistakes in Cross-Examination
4:30 - 5:00, Charles H. Van Horn
- Common Mistakes Made by Young Attorneys
- When NOT to Cross-Examine a Witness
- Questions and Tactics That Can Backfire
- How to Get Results Without Looking Like a Bully
- Avoiding the One Question Too Many
- Techniques for Mitigating the Impact of Common Mistakes
- Legal Ethics of Using or Examining Witnesses
5:00 - 6:00, Charles H. Van Horn
- Preparation of Witnesses
- Compensating Witnesses
- When a Client or Witness Lies
- Ethical Considerations in Witness Examination
- Clarifying Testimony
- Confidentiality, Privilege and Work Product Issues
This program is designed for attorneys who wish to build their cross-examination skills.