Types of Policies, Title Commitments, Endorsements, Land Surveys and More
Don't let inexperience or a lack of knowledge hinder your professional ability! Our insightful faculty will simplify title insurance and highlight vital information you need to make the best decisions in your practice. From understanding the components of title commitments/policies to endorsements and surveys, gain practical knowledge you can start using right away. Enroll today!
- Examine and understand the components of the foundational policy and commitment structure.
- Make sure you're using endorsements to their full potential: understand what they cover and what they don't.
- Know how to obtain additional coverage for title defects that aren't covered under the standard policy.
- Recognize the land survey's role in getting title insurance coverage.
- Be prepared for any client question with a thorough knowledge of trusts and power of attorney procedures.
- Get proper coverage for access and easement issues.
- Ensure proper treatment of transfer taxes and mortgage taxes under the bankruptcy code.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- Title Insurance and Commitments: Mastering the Essentials
10:00 - 11:00, Orlando Lucero
- Components of the Title
- Property Description
- Mortgages and Liens
- Easements, Covenants and Conditions
- Risks Inherent in Public Land Records
- Recording Laws
- Secret Statutory Liens
- The Gap
- Actual Notice, Inquiry Notice
- The Commitment as a Portrayal of the Title
- Timely Review and Negotiation of the Commitment
- Types of Title Insurance Policies and Their Structures
11:15 - 12:15, John T. Lotardo
- Types of Policies
- ALTA Owner's Policy
- ALTA Loan Policy
- Alternative Policy Forms
- Policy Structure
- Covered Risks
- Exclusions from Coverage
- Policy Endorsements and How They Work
12:15 - 12:45, Brad L. F. Hoeschen
- Owners' Policy Endorsements and Loan Policy Endorsements Distinguished
- Commercial Property and Residential Property Endorsements Distinguished
- New ALTA Endorsements
- Additional Coverage: When and How to Get it
1:15 - 2:00, John T. Lotardo
- Affirmative Coverage to Suit the Situation
- Non-ALTA Endorsements
- Land Surveys and Real Estate Title
2:00 - 2:45, Brad L. F. Hoeschen
- Forms of Survey
- Reading the Survey into the Commitment
- How is the Survey Helpful?
- How Title is Conveyed
2:45 - 3:15, John T. Lotardo
- Individual vs. Entity Ownership
- Sole Proprietors vs. Joint Ventures
- Powers of Attorney
- Access and Easements
3:30 - 4:15, Brad L. F. Hoeschen
- Types and Scope of Easements
- Access Issues
- Insuring Access and Easements
- Sales Free and Clear of Liens Under the Bankruptcy Code
4:15 - 5:00, Orlando Lucero
- The Scope and Mechanics of the Trustee's or Debtor-in Possession's Power of Sale in 541 Property
- Sales Free and Clear of Liens Under 11USCS 363 (f)
- Mortgaging Property of the Estate
- Treatment of Transfer Taxes and Mortgage Taxes Under the Bankruptcy Code
This legal program is designed for attorneys. It will also benefit others who want to build their title insurance knowledge, including title insurance professionals, employees of title and abstract companies, real estate professionals, paralegals, and bankers.