Critical Handbook Changes You Need to Make NOW
With employment laws, court rulings and administrative decisions in a constant state of flux, having an up-to-date handbook is more imperative than ever. Is your knowledge up to par? You need to prepare yourself for when clients come to your door looking for answers. This essential guide puts the latest handbook updates your clients need all in one place. Use the latest legal developments to ensure employee handbooks maximize legal protections - order today!
- Ensure handbooks fully comply with developments in wage and hour law.
- Analyze workplace behavior and misconduct policies and spot critical liabilities.
- Strengthen handbooks so they act as a shield against harassment and retaliation allegations.
- Craft non-compete and non-solicitation clauses that fully comply with the letter of the law.
- Update drug and alcohol policies to account for medical marijuana and e-cigarettes.
This is a rebroadcast of the original webcast delivered by Donald C. Erickson, Daniel J. Finerty and Andrea F. Hoeschen on September 27, 2019. Faculty will be available to answer your questions after the program.
10:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
- New NLRB Handbook Ruling: Extents and Limitations
10:00 - 10:45, Donald C. Erickson
- Handbook Wage and Hour Provision: What They Must Contain
10:45 - 11:30, Donald C. Erickson
- FLSA White Collar Exemptions
- Addressing Overtime Pay
- Wage and Benefit Discussions Between Employees
- When are Wages "Confidential Information"?
- Workplace Behavior and Misconduct Policies
11:45 - 12:45, Written by Laurie A. Petersen and Presented by Daniel J. Finerty
- Rude and Disrespectful Behavior
- Criticism of Employers
- False or Defamatory Statements
- Intemperate or Abusive Speech
- Workplace Confidentiality Rules
- Using Handbook Policies to Safeguard Against Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation Claims
1:15 - 2:15, Andrea F. Hoeschen
- Current Case Law That Affects Policies
- OSHA Anti-Retaliation Rules
- LGBT Discrimination
- Other Critical Areas to Update
- Non-Competition, Non-Solicitation and Trade Secrets: Crafting Policies and Agreements
2:15 - 3:15, Andrea F. Hoeschen
- Case Law and Legislative Updates
- Evaluating Legitimate Business Interest
- Geographical Scope: What is Reasonable
- Crafting Non-Compete Clauses: Ensuring Enforceability
- The Defend Trade Secrets Act: Using Notices to Enhance Remedies
- Drug and Alcohol Policies: Marijuana, E-Cigarettes and More
3:30 - 4:00, Written by Laurie A. Petersen and Presented by Daniel J. Finerty
- Other Essential Handbook Policies That Invite Scrutiny
4:00 - 5:00, Written by Laurie A. Petersen
and Presented by Daniel J. Finerty
- Use of Company Logos and Other Trademarked Material
- Workplace Photography and Recording
- Social Media Policies
- Failure to Report to the Workplace
- Leaving Work Without Permission
- Conflict of Interest Policies
- Nursing Mother Policies
- Firearms and Weapons Policies
This informative overview of the latest employment law changes is for attorneys. HR professionals, accountants and paralegals may also benefit.