Successful managers get things done. Learn the art of management that will set you apart—FAST. Using extensive guided role plays, self-audits and in-depth skills exercises, you will explore motivation, delegation, coaching, communication, performance management and leadership.
Take this course to fill your skill gaps and elevate your team—and your career—to new levels of greatness. Be ready to apply what you learn and return to work with new knowledge, insights and practical methods to help you be a successful and effective new manager.
How You Will Benefit
- Boost your confidence level as a new manager
- Skillfully manage your co-located and virtual team
- Shift gears, deal with change and make decisions with more ease
- Match your leadership style to your employees’ development needs
- Increase your flexibility and adaptability to lead a diverse workforce
- Develop a climate that fosters motivation and camaraderie
- Provide clear vision and direction for your employees
- Equip your team with the resources they need to be effective
- Confidently help employees solve problems and overcome barriers
Seminar Frequently Asked Questions
Is this training good for first-time managers?
The AMA Management Skills for New Managers training is a great resource for both first-time managers and seasoned professionals who want to sharpen their skills . This course helps you to build and maintain the solid foundation of skills and behaviors you'll need to be an outstanding manager.
I’ve been a manager for 3 years. Is this course still appropriate for me?
Yes! Managers at any level can benefit from the key skills covered in this course. It’s always beneficial to step back from your day-to-day work and examine where you need a tune up.
Are there management tools that I can share with my team after the seminar?
Yes, every AMA seminar ensures that attendees leave with knowledge and skills that can be applied immediately back at work and shared with peers.
What specific managerial skills will this seminar help improve?
You’ll be able to practice several skills, from communication to delegation, as well as motivation and coaching. This course is designed to give you a comprehensive understanding of what it takes to be effective.
What type of credits or certifications can I earn with this seminar?
AMA is an approved provider of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and related credits from professional associations worldwide, including Project Management Institute (PMI)®, the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) and Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI), among many others. For more specific information on accreditation, visit the Credits section.
Can this seminar be delivered at my company’s location?
Yes. Many of our seminars can be tailored and delivered at any location of your choice. Visit our Corporate Training Materials section for more specific details.
1.2 CEU, 14 CPE, 12 PDU
What You Will Cover
Your Role as Manager
- Discovering the qualities and abilities required for effective management
- Identifying the roles and responsibilities managers perform
- Exploring the contextual issues and challenges that new managers face today
Continuous Performance Management
- Defining the goal of performance management
- Identifying the process and challenges
- Practicing the skills of performance management
- Conducting a self-audit on performance management
SLII ® - The Art of Influencing Others
- Practicing having effective and more frequent conversations with your direct reports
- Increasing your flexibility and adaptability to lead a diverse workforce
- Using a variety of leadership styles to accelerate team members’ completion of their goals/tasks
Coaching for Performance
- Identifying the importance of and requirements for coaching
- Learning the micro-skills of effective coaching
- Confronting problem behaviors in a tactful manner
- Using the AMA Guide to manage a coaching discussion
- Differentiating between coaching and disciplining
Building a Motivational Climate
- Recognizing the manager’s role in employee motivation
- Exploring important elements of the motivational process
- Identifying managerial practices for building a motivational climate
Delegating for Growth and Development
- Describing the types of delegation that managers can engage in
- Assessing your current delegation practices and their challenges
- Recognizing what can and can’t be delegated
- Describing the phases of effective delegation
- Practicing delegation discussion
- Self-audits on performance management, technology, coaching, diversity and inclusion, as well as delegation and global awareness
- A process for coaching behavioral challenges and conducting a delegation discussion
- A self-reflection worksheet on business ethics
- Performance alignment conversations
- An AMA digital asset on motivation and delegation
- A motivational climate worksheet
Managers with one to three years of experience who are seeking additional management training.Cancellation:
Transfer, Cancellation and Refund Policy. For Classroom, Live Online and Webinar programs, you may transfer to a future session, send someone to take your place or cancel without penalty at any time up to three weeks prior to your program. If you provide AMA with less than three weeks’ notice, or fail to attend, you will be liable for the entire program fee. Programs included in AMA OnDemand offerings are not eligible for substitution, transfer, cancellation, return or refund. We appreciate that this is an important investment for you and your company and would like to accommodate your needs the best we can. Please call us if you have any questions