Whether it’s allocating resources for a project, funding a new initiative or establishing a supply chain for a new product or service, negotiation is inevitably at the heart of the process. But few people understand the structure, techniques and approaches available to them as they seek to positively influence an outcome. This hands-on seminar gives you a step-by-step guide to effective negotiation. You must identify the problem, understand it from the other’s perspective, generate alternative solutions and select a solution that benefits both sides. All parties need each other to achieve their goals. Negotiation focuses on solving the problem and closing the gap between what both parties want.
How You Will Benefit
- Know when—and when not—to negotiate
- Develop an effective plan and strategy for any negotiation
- Know what behavior to adapt at each stage of the negotiation
- Adjust your communication style to achieve desired results
- Successfully apply the principles of persuasion to any negotiation situation
- Effectively negotiate face-to-face, on the phone or through e-mail and other media
12 CAE, 1.2 CEU, 14 CPE, 12 PDU
What You Will CoverWhat is Negotiation?
- The basic concepts of negotiation
- What is negotiable in typical business situations
- Identify approaches to negotiation
- Identify the six stages of negotiation
- Use appropriate behaviors in each of the stages
- Define the influences on the negotiation process
Planning Your Negotiation
- Plan a negotiation
- Determine a settlement range
- Apply the planning framework in practice negotiation
- Apply the persuasion process
- Use the frame/reframe process to understand the other party
- Examine possible approaches to use when there is confrontation
- Use listening skills in the negotiation process
- Explain the four dimensions of DISC and the style tendencies of each
- Describe the characteristics of dual styles and their impact on negotiations
- Describe how to adapt style to maximize the results of negotiations
- Identify why negotiations become derailed and how to avoid negotiation traps
Crafting a Strategy for Your Negotiation
- Plan a strategy to apply your negotiations
- Describe the process of identifying a problem or issue for negotiation
- Identify steps and techniques for choosing appropriate communication methods
- Create and apply a strategy for a business negotiation simulation
- Apply what you’ve learned to plan a negotiation for back on the job
Leave with AMA’s Negotiation Planner to help you prepare your negotiations every step of the way and effectively apply your newly learned know-how.
AMA Blended Learning combines instructor-led training with online pre- and post-seminar assessments, tune-up courses and other resources to maximize your training goals. Through a blend of proven instructor-led seminars and powerful online technology, AMA Blended Learning provides a compelling and more comprehensive experience for the learner—producing a greater return-on-investment for the employer and the seminar participant.
Note: This program in not intended for labor union negotiators of either side.
Those responsible for negotiating the best possible terms of an agreement for their organization.Cancellation:
Transfer, Cancellation and Refund Policy. For Classroom, Live Online and Webinar programs, you may transfer to a future session, send someone to take your place or cancel without penalty at any time up to three weeks prior to your program. If you provide AMA with less than three weeks’ notice, or fail to attend, you will be liable for the entire program fee. Programs included in AMA OnDemand offerings are not eligible for substitution, transfer, cancellation, return or refund. We appreciate that this is an important investment for you and your company and would like to accommodate your needs the best we can. Please call us if you have any questions