Build a solid foundation of project management knowledge, techniques and tools in this hands-on workshop that covers the entire project life cycle.As the business world grows more competitive, organizations find it necessary to take on an increasing number of projects. Unfortunately, these same organizations often don’t have skilled project managers to handle the work. In this seminar, you will learn and practice the critical tools and techniques that have been proven necessary for project management success. In lectures, discussions and exercises, you’ll cover the essential aspect of managing projects.
While aligned with the Project Management Institute’s (PMI) framework, this course is specifically designed to focus on the practical application of concepts. You’ll return to work with the knowledge and tools you need to get your projects started right and completed successfully.
How You Will Benefit
- Ensure that your projects are set-up for success from the start
- Learn the basics for effectively gathering and documenting requirements
- Understand the role of the project manager, business analyst, and others in managing projects
- Develop an integrated project plan including realistic scope, schedules, budgets, and risks—and turn that plan into successful action
- Learn how to effectively track and report on project progress
- Gain the respect of your project team and build credibility with top management
What You Will CoverAn Overview of Key Project Management Concept
Discussion of key concepts, terminology, and roles, including:
- The project triangle
- The definition of the "project"
- The five-core PM
Initiating the Project
- Creating a project charter and tying it to the business case
- Gathering and documenting requirements
- Setting customer, sponsor, and team member expectations
Identifying the Work
- Creating the work breakdown structure (WBS) based on the charter and product requirments
- Assigning ownership to tasks
Estimating the Work
- Discussing industry best practices for creating realistic estimates
Scheduling the Work
- Creating precedence (network logic) diagrams to show task dependencies
- Producing Gantt charts to graph project timelines
- Determining the critical path and calculating float
Creating the Budget
- Estimating and tracking personnel and (out of pocket) expenses
Who Should Attend
Individuals who are new to project management, “accidental” project managers (professionals for whom PM is a secondary part of their jobs), business analysts, subject-matter experts from any field who contribute to projects, managers responsible for projects and experienced project managers looking to review current tools, techniques, and processes.
AMA Blended Learning combines instructor-led training with online pre- and post-seminar assessments, tune-up courses and other resources to maximize your training goals. Through a blend of proven instructor-led seminars and powerful online technology, AMA Blended Learning provides a compelling and more comprehensive experience for the learner—producing a greater return-on-investment for the employer and the seminar participant.
This seminar features fictional case studies that allow participants to immediately practice course concepts in group exercises. Participants will create key project documents, such as business case, charter, product requirements, project plan, status reports and lessons learned.
Participants have access to online blended learning components, including a full toolkit of integrated project management templates to download and use for getting started immediately after completing the seminar.
Transfer, Cancellation and Refund Policy. For Classroom, Live Online and Webinar programs, you may transfer to a future session, send someone to take your place or cancel without penalty at any time up to three weeks prior to your program. If you provide AMA with less than three weeks’ notice, or fail to attend, you will be liable for the entire program fee. Programs included in AMA OnDemand offerings are not eligible for substitution, transfer, cancellation, return or refund. We appreciate that this is an important investment for you and your company and would like to accommodate your needs the best we can. Please call us if you have any questions