In this two-day course, you’ll get a thorough overview of the most popular 3rd party plug-in tools used by professional Avid editors. The course combines instructor-led training and hands-on practice to introduce you to Sapphire, Continuum and Mocha from Boris FX. Boris FX plug-ins are widely used in broadcast and feature film post-production for their ability to create limitless creative looks and advanced visual effects directly inside the Media Composer timeline.
What You’ll Learn:
Learn advanced techniques used by Avid editors and colorists to fully utilize plug-ins for professional finishing:
- Creating custom transitions and looks.
- Combine and develop advanced creative preset libraries.
- Animating 3D Text, Lower Thirds and graphic looks.
- Planar Tracking and Masking for editing and effects.
- Keying, Image Restoration and general footage fixing techniques.
- Practical working knowledge of Mac OS X or Windows skills.
- A background in editing, production, or post-production is strongly recommended
1. General Overview of Boris FX Tools: Continuum / Sapphire / Mocha Pro
- About Boris FX - Developer of plug-ins for all major editing and effects software
- Why Boris FX plug-ins are used by professional editors, colorists and effects artists.
- What is Continuum
- What is Sapphire
- What is Mocha
2. Working With Transition Effects
- Applying and modifying transitions.
- Continuum Transitions, FX Browser and onscreen UI.
- Keyframing and animating.
- Sapphire Transition Builder: build and customize transitions.
3. Titling & Graphics
- 2D Titling, 3D Titling & 3D Objects
- 3D Text and Title Studio
- Build and animate lower thirds and title templates
- Apply effects to titles and using Sapphire Builder presets
- Pan & Zoom for animating stills.
4. Image Effects and FInishing Techniques
- Applying effects and looks: glows, blurs, vignettes, etc
- Keyframing and presets
- Broadcast Safe
- Beat Reactor for audio synchronization
- Lens Flare Designer for advanced Lens Flares
- Sapphire Builder for custom effects creation
- Create hand-held camera motion with Shake filter.
5. Keying and Compositing
- General keying: Luma keying, Chroma keying
- Primate Studio for advanced keying
- Difficult keying scenarios: transparency & spill
- Realistic compositing, light wrap techniques.
6. Masking & Tracking for Editors with Mocha
- Basics of planar tracking for editing
- Mocha interface overview
- Creating masks for effects isolation in Continuum & Sapphire
- Masking for color correction.
- Understanding surface, linking for Mocha basics
- Mocha Shapes for plug-ins: Witness Protection, Beauty, Glow, Remover
7. Image Restoration and Finishing Techniques
- Fixing problem shots: sharpening & flicker
- Skin smoothing and beauty shots
- Fix and remove dropouts and dead pixels
- Remove logos and objects
- Stabilize and smooth jittery camera movement
10. Mocha Pro for advanced compositing
- Planar tracking techniques: fix drifts and track offsets
- Replace screen inserts and cell phones
- Advanced Object Removal
Cancelling an Open Enrollment Registration
If notice is given 15 or more calendar days before the start of a class, the student may receive a full refund less a $100 administrative fee. If notice is given less than 15 calendar days no rescheduling or efunds are permitted.
If notice Is given 15 or more calendar days before the start of the class a student may reschedule . A student can reschedule a class up to two (2) times. Additional reschedules will not be allowed.
No Shows if a student does not attend a scheduled session, there will be no refund or rescheduling permitted. Payment is forfeited. FMC reserves the right to cancel classes with insufficient enrollment or in other circumstances. FMC will endeavor to give as much advance notice as possible of any change to the schedule. FMC shall not be responsible for any incidental or consequential loss arising whatsoever.