We are committed to safeguarding the health of our attendees and speakers. This seminar has been moved to an online format due to public health concerns.
Write Solid Leases and Ensure Proper Accommodations and Evictions
No one buys rental property hoping to evict their tenants, but sooner or later some tenancies will go wrong. Do you know what protections your leases are giving you? Can you counsel your clients on the best practices in collecting back rent? Don't wait until you're in the middle of litigation to get help! Our speakers can offer practical experience and down-to-earth solutions, and help you keep up with the constantly shifting body of laws. Whether it's your first lease or you lost count years ago, you can benefit from this seminar and take the uncertainty out of landlord-tenant relationships. Order today!
- Write leases that work for you, instead of against you.
- Know what actions landlords can legally take.
- Determine if and when eviction is the only option.
- Find out what should be done with abandoned property.
- Review best practices for collecting, retaining, and returning security deposits.
- Weigh the costs and benefits of pursuing collections.
- Examine key ethical concerns, including unrepresented tenants.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- Lease Drafting and Tenant Accommodations
9:00 - 10:00, Tyler Moffatt
- Legally Screening and Qualifying Tenants: Fair Housing, Discrimination, and Background Checks
- Essential Pro-Active and Remedial Lease Provisions, Prohibited Rental Agreement Provisions
- Security Deposits and Personal Guarantees
- Late Fees: How Much is Too Much?
- Special Circumstances (Public and Subsidized Housing, Mobile Homes)
- Other Lease Issues
- Landlord Obligations and Tenant Rights
10:00 - 11:00, Brandon Spleen
- Case Law Studies
- Physical Defects on the Premises, Liability for Injury, and Other Risk Management Issues
- Providing Security
- Lead Paint, Mold, Radon, Asbestos: Remediation Responsibilities
- Duty to Repair
- Evictions: When the Agreement Ends . . . For Better or Worse
11:15 - 12:15, Tyler Moffatt
- Terminating the Tenancy
- Causes for Eviction: Breach for Non-Payment of Rent, Nuisance, and Other Miscellaneous
- Other Problems: Ending the Relationship, SCRA Protections, Abandonment of Property
- Local "Tenants' Rights" Ordinances
- Landlord Actions
- Demands, Notices, Lockouts
- Forcible Entry and Detainer Action
- Jurisdiction and Venue
- The Writ: Preparation, Entry, and Service
- The Hearing, Statutory Defenses, and Appeals
- The Writ of Possession
- Landlord Deposits
- Fair Credit Reporting
- Happening Now
1:15 - 2:15, Tyler Moffatt
- Legislative and Case Law Updates
- ADA Accommodations, Service Animals, ESAs and Therapy Pets
- Airbnb, VRBO and Other Short-Term Rentals
- Marijuana and Other Emerging Issues
- Collections: Enforcing Your Judgment
2:15 - 3:15, Brandon Spleen
- When a Tenant Files Bankruptcy
- Considerations Before Pursuing Judgment: Should You Even Bother?
- Obtain Necessary Information to Collect Judgment Early in the Rental Process
- Taking Judgment; Docketing the Judgment
- Financial Disclosure Forms
- Supplemental Examination
- Garnishment: Earnings Garnishment (Employer); Property Other Than Earnings (Bank Account)
- Ethical Considerations in Landlord-Tenant Law
3:30 - 4:30, Brandon Spleen
- Ethical Situations
- Conflicts of Interest, Unrepresented, Dual Representation, and Competency
- Negotiating With a Pro Se Tenant at Court
- Fee Arrangements and Getting Paid
This basic level seminar will benefit:
- Housing Authorities
- Code/Housing Compliance Professionals
- Real Estate Brokers
- Property Managers
- Building Owners
- Leasing Agents
- Other Real Estate Professionals