Navigate the In's and Out's of Firearms Laws
The legal requirements that surround the purchase and use of firearms are extremely detailed. Do you possess the knowledge necessary to guide your clients through them? What are the differences between Title 1 and Title 2 firearms, and how can you determine if a Title 2 firearm is legal for an individual to possess? What are the purchasing requirements for buying a firearm at a gun show versus buying one from a private party? What states recognize concealed carry permits from other states? Find out the answers to these complex legal questions and more. Order today!
- Understand the lesser-known constitutional aspects of firearms law, including the First Amendment issues that surround gun shows.
- Know how the Firearms Owners Protection Act affects the possession of automatic weapons.
- Find out what the legal requirements are for an individual who buys multiple handguns in the same purchase.
- Recognize what Title 2 firearms are and the unique purchasing and taxation requirements that come with them.
- Get an overview of the legal requirements that govern firearms dealers, including audits by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
- Learn about the latest developments in firearms law such as mental health record checks and concealed carry laws.
This is a rebroadcast of the original webcast delivered by M.B. Adelson on March 26, 2019. Faculty will be available to answer your questions after the program.
10:00 AM - 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time
Presented by: M.B. Adelson
- Constitutional Components of Firearms Law
10:00 - 11:00
- The Second Amendment
- Other Amendments that Pertain to Firearms Law
- Gun Shows and the First Amendment
- Search and Seizure Issues and the Fourth Amendment
- The Taxing and Commerce Clauses
- State Constitutions
- Key Firearms Laws to Understand
11:15 - 12:15
- National Firearms Act of 1934
- Gun Control Act of 1968
- Firearms Owners Protection Act
- Brady Handgun Violence Protection Act
- Title 1 Firearms and Their Regulation
12:15 - 1:15
- Modern Firearms, Curios and Relics, and Antiques - Important Definitions
- Purchasing Requirements
- Form 4473
- Multiple Handguns and Form 3310.4
- Private Party Transfers and Gun Show Purchases
- Title 1 Firearms and Purchasers with Criminal Records and Restraining Orders
- Title 2 Firearms: Unique and Misunderstood
1:45 - 2:45
- What is a Title 2 Firearm?
- Tax and Purchase Procedures for Title 2 Firearms
- Transportation and Use Requirements with Title 2 Firearms
- Title 2 Firearms and Entities Exempt from Tax and Purchasing Requirements
- Determining if a Title 2 Firearm is on the NFA Registry
- Firearms Dealers and Licensing Requirements
2:45 - 3:45
- Procedures for Obtaining Federal Firearms Licenses
- Record Keeping Requirements for Firearms Dealers
- ATF Audits of Firearms Dealers
- The Special Occupations Tax and Becoming a Title 2 Firearms Dealer
- Curio and Relic Licenses: Their Functions and Limitations
- Current Issues in Firearms Law
4:00 - 5:00
- Mental Health and Background Checks
- Concealed Carry Permits and State Reciprocity
- Inheritance Issues with Firearms
- State and Federal Gun Control Measures
This program on firearms law is for attorneys. Paralegals may also find it useful.