SQL Server 2008 is a comprehensive database platform, consisting of components and management tools such as SQL Server Management Studio, Business Intelligence Development studio, and the SQL Server Database Engine. These tools allow administrators and developers to build and maintain software solutions, and perform required functions in a server environment. This course identifies SQL Server 2008 components and management tools, and outlines the requirements for installing SQL Server 2008. The steps required to complete a fresh installation of a SQL Server 2008 instance and how to upgrade a SQL Server instance are also explored. This course is one of a series in the SkillSoft learning path that covers the objectives for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 exam number 70-432. Passing this exam will earn the learner the Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS): Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance certification.
- Recognize how SQL Server 2008 improves business solutions
- Recognize the purpose of the various editions of SQL Server 2008
- Identify the requirements for installing SQL Server 2008
- Recognize the considerations for installing SQL Server 2008
- Recognize how to install a SQL Server 2008 instance in a given scenario
- Identify the requirements and considerations for upgrading an instance of SQL Server to SQL Server 2008
- Recognize how to use the Upgrade Advisor to ensure component compatibility with SQL Server 2008
- Recognize how to perform an upgrade to SQL Server 2008
- Install an instance of SQL Server 2008 and prepare an instance for an upgrade to SQL Server 2008
Professionals typically pursuing a career as a Database Administrator; individuals who don't work directly with SQL Server as part of their primary job but wish to show their breadth of technology experience, including developers and systems administrators.